Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My truck died on me the other day it seemed like there was no fuel, prior to it stopping it was acting like it was lacking for gas, I had to keep playing the pedal to keep it going, eventually I would find the sweet spot and it would go. I have done some testing it runs when I put gas in the throttle body, but I cannot hear the gas pump when I turn the key on so I jumped the fuel pump relay (or ASD relay) and I hear the pump running ,when I crank it, it starts but then it stops I shut the key off then recrank and it starts again. Has anyone had this problem before and do you think it might be the pump is not making enough pressure to keep it running?

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
That might be it.

It would be worth checking the fuel pressure.

For the throttle body LA based 3.9s (like your 1990), it should be 14.5 PSI +- .5 PSI .

RwP

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No luck

Would you know where to check the pressure? I have checked for a place to connect the pressure gauge but have not found one! And do you know where to connect an obd reader or how to check engine codes on this Dakota my 95 has the connector under the dash but this one doesn't. I tried the key on and off trick for self diagnostic but that didn't work either

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Unfortunately, what you end up needing to do is disconnect the fuel line, T it, and check there. There isn't a spot on the fuel lines on the TBI units.

As to the scan - the on/off/on/off/on trick works on most of them. There's also a SLI connecter under the hood - predates OBDII.

RwP

1 - 4 of 4 Posts