Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Thanks in advance to anyone that can shed some light on the following problem. I apologize for the length of thread. I have a 93 Dakota V6 AT 2WD truck that is having an overdrive problem. It all started a few weeks ago while I was driving on the freeway. I went to pass a vehicle and noticed my truck wasn't down-shifting. I immediately got off at the next exit to check things out. I looked under the truck and didn't notice any leaks. I then checked my dash to see if any warning lamps had come on, but didn't notice any. I turned my truck back on and took side streets home. I immediately noticed that my truck would shift from 3rd to 4th(O/D) in a split second. The transmission would not stay in 3rd gear like it used to and then shift into O/D, it would just shift immediately from 3rd-O/D. It would shift from 3rd to O/D at about 40mph and then just hang in O/D until I slowed down. From a dead stop my Dakota would shift flawlessly from 1st-3rd. I took it to Kennedy Transmission and they told me that the O/D solenoid had gone out and it would cost me roughly $490 parts and labor. I didn't feel like paying that kind of money and purchased the part on Ebay ($60), along with a transmission filter kit and fluid from O'Reilly($43), and did the job myself. It took me about 1.5 hours to complete. After completion, I attempted to take my Dakota for a test drive. I turned the key, the truck began to turn over, then nothing. Everything went dead. The windows, interior lamps, door buzzer and power locks were the only things that worked. Long story short, after checking all the wires and fuses, I narrowed it down to the 50 amp ignition switch fuse. I went to O'Reilly and bought two more 50 amp fuses, put the fuse back in, turned the key and the same thing happened. I then checked all wires again visually and with a meter and they were all good. I don't know why, but for some reason I unplugged the three wire lockout/Overdrive plug that plugs into the top of the transmission and then turned the key and it started. I then took it for a test drive and my Dakota (naturally) only shifted from 1st-3rd without O/D. I then removed the new lockup/overdrive solenoid and put my meter on it, along with the three wires(three pin plug I wrote about earlier) going from the PCM to the LU/OD solenoid, and they were fine. I'm not a mechanic and this may be an easy fix, but I'm totally dumbfounded. Can anyone help??? Thanks to everyone that responds and hung in for this long thread.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts