Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. As of yesterday I have run into an issue I'm hoping I can get help for without costing an arm. I have a 93 Dakota 5.2 efi 2wd. I went out yesterday 07-08 and while getting ready for work started it and it seemed to be running fine. Now before all the issues yesterday started before it would surge ever so slightly between 1k and 2k rpm. So back to yesterday. It had started no issue. Skip 10 mins later and it atarted sputtering, dropped rpm and died. I tried to refire to no avail. I had gotten home at around 3 and had tried to start again, Fired right up but only would run smoothly above 1k rpm and would spit every so often. Let the rpms come down again and it started dying but seemed to save itsself and idled out. ( thought maybe a slug of water ot into it somehow) Jump to this morning. Went to fire it and it fired a few times but after the third time it would not fire again. I'm totally lost at this point as I have never this issue with it prior to this incident mechanically. After extensive reading The best I could come up with are IAC, TPS, Fuel filter or pump. Any help would be appreciated..Don't have a ton of money to dump into right now.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Well, fuel filter is fairly cheap and easy, so that's a good parts cannon part.

But I'd borrow a fuel pressure test set, and see what fuel pressure you're getting.

Also, if you're not getting any, I'd take the wiring diagram from the factory service manual, make a short jumper, jump the fuel pump relay, and see if it comes up. If it does, I'd swap the fuel pump relay with the A/C relay if you have both, and see if it comes up that way.

If not (doesn't come up then), I'd check for voltage to the fuel pump relay (FPR) socket with ignition on - there's a splice that sometimes fails with corrosion that can kill a lot of the items on the ASD (Auto Shut Down) line, and the FPR is controlled by the ASD line for most years.

You can use a multi meter to test the TPS, so that's something that's cheap (and if you have the multi meter, free!)

I will mention that these symptoms seem to be common when the FPR/ASD control is failing, or when the splice goes bad, or when the crank position sensor is failing (and that can even be bad wiring to it, not the sensor itself!) so it'd behoove me to do the meter tests I can do for all of it.

RwP

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, fuel filter is fairly cheap and easy, so that's a good parts cannon part.

But I'd borrow a fuel pressure test set, and see what fuel pressure you're getting.

Also, if you're not getting any, I'd take the wiring diagram from the factory service manual, make a short jumper, jump the fuel pump relay, and see if it comes up. If it does, I'd swap the fuel pump relay with the A/C relay if you have both, and see if it comes up that way.

If not (doesn't come up then), I'd check for voltage to the fuel pump relay (FPR) socket with ignition on - there's a splice that sometimes fails with corrosion that can kill a lot of the items on the ASD (Auto Shut Down) line, and the FPR is controlled by the ASD line for most years.

You can use a multi meter to test the TPS, so that's something that's cheap (and if you have the multi meter, free!)

I will mention that these symptoms seem to be common when the FPR/ASD control is failing, or when the splice goes bad, or when the crank position sensor is failing (and that can even be bad wiring to it, not the sensor itself!) so it'd behoove me to do the meter tests I can do for all of it.

RwP
I have a 93 RWD longbed with tht 5.2...256K. Same symptoms excert mine is running rich....mileage down, carbon on the exhaust pipe. Runs better when it is warmed up and the air temp is colder. I like RwP's advice. I must get rid of mine otherwise I would start with the temperature sensors using a multimeter.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts