Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1994 Dakota.My ECM melted while driving. SO bought a used ECM and nothing. Bought 2 more ECM and nothing..I heard from some one it need to be programmed.. Dont have the old one but i sopposebly have 3 that are good..Please help.PLEASE

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I'd be seeing why the ECM melted first.

Sounds like you have another problem.

And, oh, for 1994, no ECM programming needed; that's for newer vehicles.

RwP

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
So something.

Check the wiring diagrams for your 1994 - the fuel pump relay AND the ASD relay have their coils wired up almost identical. I'd swap the two, see if you get spark but no fuel.

Then i'd check the connection at the ECU for the ASD to see if it's actually trying to turn it on.

Note: It will only be on while the motor's running, cranking, or for about 2 seconds after the power turns on.

RwP

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kool will check..The guys at Summit mentioned it needed the original ecm for porper programing, but i thrwe it out. my problem is i dont know what to listen to..Right now no spark..Any thoughts. Its my work truck

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
The guy at Summit doesn't know what he's talking about.

Again, grab the factory service manual (BIG hint: Is it a Chilton's Dakota or a Haynes Dakota? No?) from Ebay or direct from Bishko ( http://www.autobooksbishko.com/ ) and use that for your troubleshooting.

But FIRST - swap the fuel pump and ASD relays.

If you get spark but no fuel, it's a bad relay.

After that, it's time to check what's off in the ASD relay circuitry.

RwP

·
Registered
45 Posts
Guy who said Summit guy doesn't know what he's talking about is dead on. Not many there at Summit do.
These things are notorious for rotting out electrical lead wires coming into ecm and battery box. You fried your ecm because something else is wrong.
Bad alternator, fried coil, crank and cam sensors and rotted leads are usually the culprit for these things not starting. A multi meter is your friend here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts