Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My headlights have stopped working and the only way to get any light is by holding the high beams switch in the "on" position.

Any idea why both headlights and the high beam "holder" would all quit at the same time?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dakota headlight problem

Hello,
I am having the exact same problem with my 1994 Dakota headlights. I have to hold the dimmer switch in order for yhe headlights to come on. I have been reading random blogs from different sites and have found no definitive cause or remedy. Certainly there must be some Dakota owners out there that have encountered this same problem and found what causes it and ultimately how to fix it. I would appreciate hearing from you! Thank you

·
Registered
1 Posts
Try the dimmer switch assembly on the steering column. My headlights would turn off randomly going down the road and I would have to practically beat the switch to get them to turn back on. Its only about $70 for the whole assembly.

·
Registered
830 Posts
My headlights have stopped working and the only way to get any light is by holding the high beams switch in the "on" position.

Any idea why both headlights and the high beam "holder" would all quit at the same time?
You mean the multi-function stalk switch that you pull back to switch
from high beam to low beam and vice-versa?
The multifunction switch on the column has the "flash to pass" contacts
that provide:
1. Flash to pass function
2. High beams
3. Low beams

From this set of contacts it goes to each headlamp.

Don't forget that the multi-function contacts are fed from the
headlight switch which has an internal circuit breaker.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts