Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am currently replacing the rear main seal and oil pan gasket and upon taking the flywheel off i noticed a tooth missing, i know its not that bad but i still want to replace it. first question is what is the best flywheel to replace it with that is stronger and will last longer?, second question is if i replace the flywheel do i have to replace the pressure and clutch plates?
thank you

·
Registered
294 Posts
yes it is suggested to replace the clutch if you have any reason to pull it apart, but you wont know for sure if it truly "needs" it til it is apart.
a clutch kit is cheap compared to the time and labor it takes to do it.
I have a 93 V8 truck that I converted to a 5 speed with a trans from a 94 (got computer and everything from the 94 lucky there)

one piece of advice; Do NOT buy a clutch kit made by "PERFECTION" I went thru 2 in short order NOT because of the pressure plate or disc itself but on the 1st one the throwout bearing seized up on me and screeched badly with <6K miles; on the 2nd one I had an ear break off the T/O bearing sleeve; I then bought a LUK clutch.
Whoever decided the T/O bearing sleeve is "unimportant" enough to change from cast iron to PLASTIC oughtta hang by their "private parts" I was PIZZED! Pn the 1st redo I even went to the dealer and got myself a new clutch fork which was RUINED by that broken ear which allowed the fork to rub against the spinning pressure plate when ever I tried to use the clutch...

NOT a place to cheapen up on original design! I put 2 clutches in that lasted a total of 16K miles, this 3rd one has that on it by itself and so far so good. I drive this truck 90+ miles a day every day.
I have NO connection to LUK except that as a professional fleet mechanic that happens to prefer to drive a manual, I have installed a few among most brands. and now a days Perfection seems the most "popular" brand of clutch available at places most DIY'ers like to frequent like useless Zone or OReillys or Advance Auto.
One other thing; Both of the "Perfection" brand clutches left my engine with a vibration that felt like "out of balance" each at slightly different RPM's from each other; I put the LUK brand clutch in and what a difference-- smooth and different pedal feel as well. Same flywheel and same hydraulics all along.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts