Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought the truck in feb. i noticed the oil pressure was low and asked the owner what was wrong and he said the oil pump screen was clogged one time and needed to be cleaned out. he had it cleaned and said it was fine for a while. taking the oil pan off doesnt look easy because the engine has to be raised up to get it off. i did oil changes using synthetic oil and had no problem till now again. i changed the oil pressure sensor with a brand new one but the gauge is still reading in the red. but if i unscrew the the pressure sensor and start the truck, oil is shooting out of the sensor hole and i dont ever hear the valves knocking at all. im wondering if this is an electrical problem with the gauge or if the screen is just a little clogged or what? i saw that many people with dakotas have had this problem. whats the easiest way to raise the engine with out disconnecting the transmission to get the oil pan off and/or should i just use auto-rx or sea foam to possible unclog the oil pump screen? why are so many dakotas having this same problem? please help. thanks.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
first off, welcome!

not too familiar with the 3.9 though its really a v6 version of my 5.9, havent really looked under it enough to notice if mine is different regarding the oil pan and if you have to raise the engine or not to take it off, but i really wouldnt think you should have to do that, but i could be wrong

ive only had my dakota for almost a year now so i havent heard of this particular problem but there are others on here with your model dakota so hopefully someone will be by to offer a bit more help

·
Registered
2 Posts
I hope that is the problem. In my experience the main cause of low oil pressure is worn out bearings on the crankshaft and/or camshaft.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts