Dakota Forumz banner
81 - 100 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
What year is yours and what do you have under your hood
2000 cc. 360 with E/Q heads shaved 30 thousandths , 216-226 cam w .521 lift, port matched intake, roller rockers, reduction pulleys, working air inlet induction, headers, 3" dual exhaust, MSD ignition w Mopar performance PCM, 2800 stall w shift kit. 3.91 rears.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
I'm going to have no choice on going to 5 lug , 5×4.5 lug pattern, so I was looking at new 5 lug axles it I'm not sure on this number
30-3/16 is this the width you all help me on the front hub assembly for the 5 lug , but I'm still a little lost on what vehicle will work on the 96 Dakota and would like to find axles that have disc brakes with them and also have the 5×4.5 same lug pattern too , thank you , so I need to find the right 5 lug rims , tires and to rebuild the rear end with posi and the front end suspension parts and lowering ita little and the , bushing, ball joint, tie rods , ect next , after done there I'll start on the transmission and motor

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I think you're over thinking it.

Use 1987-1990 Dakota rear axles for a 8.25 rear end; use 10" rear drums from the same years; use a front hub/rotor from the same years. DO order new bearings and seals for the front.

Bingo bango, parts ordered, swap in and go.

I'd do the axle bearings while it's apart, but that's because, well, your truck's rear axle is what 25 years old now? Be a lot easier while the axles are out.

That gives you a 5x4.5 rear pattern with a 71.5cm center bore.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
I'm going to have no choice on going to 5 lug , 5×4.5 lug pattern, so I was looking at new 5 lug axles it I'm not sure on this number
30-3/16 is this the width you all help me on the front hub assembly for the 5 lug , but I'm still a little lost on what vehicle will work on the 96 Dakota and would like to find axles that have disc brakes with them and also have the 5×4.5 same lug pattern too , thank you , so I need to find the right 5 lug rims , tires and to rebuild the rear end with posi and the front end suspension parts and lowering ita little and the , bushing, ball joint, tie rods , ect next , after done there I'll start on the transmission and motor
View attachment 3310
Oh ok 87 - 90 Dakota had 5 lugs then but the same rear end right , sorry just trying to understand

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Oh ok 87 - 90 Dakota had 5 lugs then but the same rear end right , sorry just trying to understand
They had either a 7.25 or a 8.25; but the 8.25 was the same width etc. as the later 6 lug 8.25.

So yes.

Don't look at Jeep parts; most of their axles use a centered differential with offset axles; ours uses an offset diff with equal length axles.

RwP

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
This truck came from my son when he bought my 08 dodge ram 4×4 I got to the point that I really like this truck and driving it, so I decided to do something with it

·
Registered
147 Posts
Good morning Ralph , something on these lines for heads
View attachment 3304 View attachment 3305
As stated, Engine Quest heads are now cast in China. They used to be cast in Australia. Here are some of the details: the "street heads" are cast with 1.94 intake valves. To produce the most hp, you'd need the 2.02 intake with the 1.6 exhaust. as they are cast in China, they do not offer the "performance heads" I have in my truck. You would have to get the stock heads and have them "redone" with proper spring rates.
There are a couple places to get the "performance heads"if you do not have a local machine shop in the area.. Hughes Engineering is one and IMM Engines in California is another. Hipotek still another and Rich the owner here is a straight up guy.
IMM will cut the heads and intake to acquire the desirable 58 cc combustion chambers the 360 seems to like. Figure another $2200-$2400 for this but includes the price of the re-worked heads.
Trick Flow also makes an aluminum head but you would have to get the $700 Harland Sharp rockers to have these work on a magnum engine. On an LA 360, these heads bolt right up.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
Well I had no choice but to get my 42re rebuilt and my friend found a big crack in the frame right behind the passenger lower control arm over half the way around he's going to weld the crack and then weld a steal plate over it

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
How ya doing this morning, truck is in the shop , my friend putting my transmission back in found this crack in my front passenger frame, getting it welded

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
yeOUCH!!!!

Your last name wouldn't be Duke would it? Or the previous owner's last name?

Hopefully that's ALL the damage to the frame.

I'd get that frame straightened also; if it got hit hard enough to bust it like that, it's bent elsewhere I'd bet.

RwP

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
Remember when I said that my truck came from a field, then I bought it off my son , I been driving like this for at least 15000 miles

81 - 100 of 105 Posts