Dakota Forumz banner
121 - 140 of 170 Posts
Discussion starter · #121 ·
Hey arrow, been having bad luck with my Dakota, first I had to put a new motor in it after the old on lost all oil pressure and started knocking , first when I got the truck the back brakes didn't work and then the piston cracked and all I had was one brake so I had a full brake job done , then the transmission went out so I had a full rebuild done on it , then yesterday the ball joint broke and slid out so I had a friend fix it and this morning it happened again so I figured out that the hole the ball joint sets it wore a little bigger so now I have to put a new upper control arm on , and this afternoon the transmission that only had around 275 miles on it , went out on me so I had it tow to the transmission shop that rebuilt it , it cost me $8247 all in 3 1/2 months not including the $450 to get the AC working again I know I wanted to fix it up but not like this but at least the motor runs fantastic , has anyone else have problems like this

Discussion starter · #123 ·
I'm still trying to figure out what to the transmission, full of fluid , no leaks, only 275 miles on it, been driving great, left the doctor's and went about 4 to 5 miles and it was like I was in neutral in reverse, d 2 1 , just wouldn't go but when it went from reverse to neutral, then I had reverse d 2 1 , kind of then got it into a dollar general parking lot until it got towed this afternoon.

Discussion starter · #125 ·
That's not good either, out if the whole brake system, I do not like doing drums I always have to fight the darn springs in the drums , but I will do disc brakes all day . Do you have drums or disc on back of your truck? Does you truck have this color interior, because of the color blue I'm painting my truck. so I decided to customize it a little by changing the dash lights to blue also. I does look a lot better at night instead of green. The interior is in pretty good shape for being 25 years old

Discussion starter · #128 ·
Setting on 188450 , but the new motor is at 4865 on it , and on my rebuilt transmission, the fluid level was fill and there were no leaks, but did have ( reverse )and ( D. 2 ,1 ) , I think the new pump went out , there was only 275 on the transmission, warranty covers all of it. With all the repairs and to get the AC working again. It blows around 37 to 39 degrees, and paint, budy supplies, tires , ect , itm up around $10800 as it sets. just the full brake job , transmission and motor I'm at $8247 .19

Discussion starter · #130 ·
I just heard back from the transmission shop, because of having to have back surgery. In a month , I had to get my neighbor put the transmission in for me , so when it went out 2 days ago I had it towed to the shop that just rebuilt the transmission and brought it home my friend just took over for the mechanic that was doing it, before he came down with covid , so I had it towed home to have it put in here , well the guy kinked one of the transmission lines and fried the transmission after only having less than 300 miles on the rebuild unit, so I'm going to have to get a personal loan to have it rebuilt again and take my neighbor to small clams court, any suggestions on how to go about this

I just heard back from the transmission shop, because of having to have back surgery. In a month , I had to get my neighbor put the transmission in for me , so when it went out 2 days ago I had it towed to the shop that just rebuilt the transmission and brought it home my friend just took over for the mechanic that was doing it, before he came down with covid , so I had it towed home to have it put in here , well the guy kinked one of the transmission lines and fried the transmission after only having less than 300 miles on the rebuild unit, so I'm going to have to get a personal loan to have it rebuilt again and take my neighbor to small clams court, any suggestions on how to go about this
It's really difficult to determine a time line here (one sentence with a bunch of different events). I see that a transmission was fried due to a kinked line. Did your friend come down with covid, so you "got your neighbor to put the transmission in for you"? Did you pay your neighbor, or was he doing you a favor? Sounds to me like your neighbor was doing you a fairly big favor, even if you paid him. Unless he's a bonded professional mechanic, I don't know how far you'd get in a small claims court.

Just my personal observation.

Discussion starter · #133 ·
I.payed him $340 , plus total of $80 in gas to take me to run me places while my truck was down and I use his truck for one appointment and put $20 in it a that time too , and every time we went somewhere , pretty much it was on empty or darn close .
So I called my bank to ask about a personal loan, so I had to hold for a few days because delta transmission said they would tear it down to see what they could reuse to save me on some money, heck. I never even hit 300 miles on the transmission yet , so on e they do that they will give me a exact price to give to the bank , and as for small claims. That's after the truck is back on the road and the loan done and started, then I will be doing the small claims . That's pretty much it.

Discussion starter · #134 ·
With in $200 and after I get back out on the shop with the 2and transmission , In literally 4 month this is what i had to put into it .but it just a big speed bump for me , so instead later of doing the 360 , I will just keep the V6 , because my oldest son talked me into it , pulling out the motor a little later next year and change out the cam and put a little bigger one in it , bigger injectors , have the heads built up and better head studs and a K&N air filter set , and exhaust so I can put a twin turbo kit in it , he has a 96 honda civic with a B Series 4cylinder turbo Dyno at 495 horsepower, he said if the motor is done right with the up grades I can do it with around 18 to 20 lbs of boost and might be around what he's pushing out if his ,

Discussion starter · #135 ·
The transmission shop should have it torn all the way down and to see what they can reuse to put back in the transmission to save mr some money , all this because he didn't replace s $38 transmission line , Monday I will find out the total price, so I can get a personal loan for it , then I'm taking the guy that put my transmission in and because of his negligence , I'm going to sue him for $4000 , for both transmission and towing and court cost for in small clams court as soon as my truck is back on the road.

Discussion starter · #136 ·
The transmission shop has really gave me a break, to go though the whole transmission to see what they were able to reuse and they got it all rebuilt and put in already should have it back Friday maybe, the end that had the kinked line problem cost for a bench build 100% with a new pump and torque converter can to be $1473.18 , this time they did 100% of everything. new lines, all 12 quarts of fluid, remove and reinstall on the transmission , delta transmission only charged $1742 total out the door. I got rid of 90% of rattles in it , the only ones left are the driverside window track. and a heat plate above the muffler below the bed other than that. when I hit a bumpy road its pretty solid ride. had the rear end gone through. new motor, new transmission, A/C blows at 35 degrees in it now and already pressure washed the whole underneath front to back and used oven cleaner on the differential rear end , and on payday buying a gallon of black paint and paint the whole entire frame from front to back. so it's all done , then all I have left to do is body work and paint and put my tires and rims , then lower the back 2 inches and ,lower the front 1 1/2 , I changed my dash lights to blue and this the blue paint bought for it have 2 gallons, the rims going it , 235 or 245/60/15 with 15×8 rims on front and 285/60/15 with 15×11 on back ,it will be lowered and be the same style as this one but blue and with the rims I have

Discussion starter · #137 ·
As of right now total in it is around the $12500 in the last 4 months I'm at $10000 in the whole drive train front to back motor has just under 5000 miles on it with a 4 year part warranty, and the transmission has 0 miles on it with a 18 month warranty still in the shop , rear end around 200 miles on it spring time replacing all the front suspension parts, new coils with adjustable nitrogen filled shocks and coil over on back with a sway bar, then my buddy and I are putting a B& M shifter on the floor and removing the column shifter , and my son gas a civic with built B- series 4 cylinder what a nice size single turbo. dyno 475 horsepower. so he talked mr into putting a twin turbo on the Dakota and put the motor back out and go though it with a bigger cam and lifters. new head studs and have the heads redone, new intake and carb , better air cleaning set and exhaust and try to get around 475 to 500 hp out of it with between 18 lbs to 20 lbs boost. Do you think that's possible with a 3.9 V6 or should i swap with a 360 pushing the same out of it. I figured if I did the V6 this way compared to a built 360 I would get better gas mileage if the foot stays out of it ?????

Discussion starter · #138 ·
Do you by chance have any idea were I can get a set of twin turbo. turbo header manifolds for a magnum 3.9 V6 , I called Jegs profomance and summit racing and both said they don't have proformance parts for magnum 3.9 V6 , but there has to be somewhere. were I can get turbo manifolds and a correct twin turbo kit for the magnum 3.9 V6 and other parts for the motor. in the turbo kits. they all say you need ( Turbo Manifolds ) to complete the kit , I have looked everywhere. I'm starting to think the manifolds will have to be customized for the V6 , I love driving my truck and you don't see any Dakotas my year all fixed up o.the road. I think it will be a blast to drive with a twin turbo. once it gets up to the RPM range, I think the pull will be a lot of fun

Discussion starter · #139 ·
Question, my 96 Dakota steering wheel on top is pretty eaten up. I'm going to get another steering wheel to replace it, will a 07 , 08 , 09 Ram with stereo controls on it and cruise control, will the to steering columns have the same diameter and spline count to fit

121 - 140 of 170 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.