Dakota Forumz banner
141 - 152 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·
When the transmission first went out I went to are local junkyard to get a used transmission but the bell housing had a bad 6 inch crack on it so they gave $250 credit to use at Watt's, so I was going to look for a factory steering wheel with those options on it to put I my truck, is there any veicals that will work to get one out of. And since the truck has been out of the shop it runs fantastic.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Only one I can suggest is a late 1st Gen.

The factory parts book shows 95/96 Dakota and RAMs both have the same wheel; that may help some.

Past that, maybe look at biting the bullet and doing something like a Ididit column to replace it, with a valid after market wheel.

(Note: Ididit does require changing to a dash mounted ignition switch; there may be better choices than that.)

RwP

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 ·
Ralph , remember back when you told me about what vehicle will fit the 5×4.5 lug pattern, Tuesday I'm going to a tire and rims shop to talk to the guy about a package rim and tire set for my 96 Dakota. He told me to look though wheel pro , but I not able to use the Dakota because it comes up as a 6 lug pattern, I'm not wanting a truck rim but more of a drag rim style, I wanted this style but they can't get it so I'm trying to find a rim of this kind of style but I'm not sure what to put in to get me a category of style rims like this to choose from, this gray truck is the the style I'm going with on mine , dropping it a little to this height.

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
Going with 10 wide rims on back and I'm guessing 8 wide on front, I'm not even close to being done with it , with motor , transmission and rear end upgrades and putting a decent turbo on it, building it to take to the track and run it every once in a while , my goal is up around 475 horsepower but I want the more agressive look rim style, I figured I should be up around the $20000 to $23000 mark when done, I'm at $12500 now but $10000 is all new drive train on it , brand new motor, transmission and rear end with posi now

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 ·
Because the guy that put the first transmission in kinked one of the transmission lines it fried the transmission just one day on the road so there are 2 transmission rebuilds and a new crate motor. so there's the $10100 of the $12000

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
If they've got a big enough center bore (71.5mm minimum), and are lugnut centric not hubcentric, Mustang wheels will fit ( specifically 1964-1973, skip the 4 lug years, and pick back up 1994 and up to 2008 or newer). (Mustangs only needed a 70.3mm center bore; it's close, and may fit.)

Also, Jeeps of similar vintage as our Dakotas (again, the references turn up (1980 to 1998 almost anything, 2002-2007 Liberty, 1980-2006 Wranger, amongst other choices.)

Check out 5 X 4.5 Bolt Pattern Cross Reference and Wheel Sizes (roadkillcustoms.com) for the list I use - tell it 5x4.5 or 5x114.3, and see what's got at least a 71.5mm center bore. Those with close (Mustangs, for instance, are 70.3mm) might - MIGHT! - fit in aftermarket; if the manufacturer won't state the center bore size, you may have to trial fit it.

(With a big enough rubber hammer you can usually get the smaller Mustang wheel on; problem is when it's time to take it off.)

RwP

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #148 ·
Thanks, I thought it was a mustang but couldn't remember a 100% so what do you think about the style I'm going with on it , you remember the blue paint I have and changed all the dash lights to blue also , truck was a dark forest green originally

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I like that dark blue!

(Personally not so wild about blue lights for the dash, but eh, not my truck.)

That's with a blue LED added to the in-dash cup holder so I can see it at dark-30 AM while driving to put my drink or whatever in it :LOL:

RwP

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 ·
If you can't tell ,i.love the dark blue color, I called Jegs Performance and Summit Racing , and they both do not show any performance parts for the magnum 3.9 V6 , originally I was going to put a built 360 in it , but since the motor and transmission went out so I'm going to eventually pull the stock V6 out and build it up some to handle a turbo and the same with the transmission, and gave fun with it

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Don't forget to check out CooperTune's build thread on his 3.9 V6. It's as he figures things out and discovers this and that; it's on hold right now due to a lack of parts, alas.

RwP

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #152 ·
After a little over a week ago of getting the 2nd transmission rebuild done in just a month, last Saturday night I was out with a friend on the hwy and the U-Joint came out of the bracket that holds it in but one side was still in place but the other side the 2 bolts back out and the drive shaft came out and was bouncing off the ground, so I had it towed back to the transmission shop and found out today that the drive shaft was still in good shape not damaged so they ordered a new bracket and the 2 bolts with a new U-joint and making the mechanic pay for the repairs and also pay for the $164 towing bill , I should get it back out of the shop again for the 5th or 6th time total later today , I think in the last 4 1/2 months I only got to drive it 2 to 2 1/2 ,months total

141 - 152 of 152 Posts