Dakota Forumz banner
161 - 169 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 ·
Good morning and my name is John ,and live hour north of Little Rock , Arkansas and I still have my knowledge , (Steve ) right , since I was 18 , I was fixing up cars my dad bought in 1977 a 76 Firebird Formula, it had a true Muncie 4 speed, the gears would winne in all gears with a 400 small block with true ram air , I brought it off my dad at 16 and started working on it in body shop in high school , took it all the way to bare metal and cut all the rust out and welded new metal in place and did all the bodywork myself and painted it at high school, to what it looks like in my driveway down in Orlando, and I always wanted to build a small truck, so this was my sons truck and I traded my 08 Ram 4×4 for his Dakota and $6000 , to fix up this is going on my 6th veicals to fix up , but I'm struggling with it because my health is not good gad esophageal cancer 12 years ago, still hasn't been back yet knock on wood, arthritis in my hands 3 surgeriesfor that already , November5th is my 25th surgery and have a 26th when this one is done , so I have a few friends helping me finish my Dakota and is my last one , just can't do it anymore buddy , the mind can but the body just is working that well anymore, if you ever like to talk directly you can have my number Steve ok

Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bumper Wood
Automotive lighting Automotive mirror Tints and shades Vehicle door Rear-view mirror
Car Land vehicle Tire Vehicle Wheel
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #162 ·
Hey Steve, this is what I started with 9 months ago, the color blue on the Toyota SUV is call Liquid Blue , is a 2021 Toyota blue , I have two gallons of it , my friend Rick and I are going to take an old Challenger hood and cut it out and cut mine out and weld them together to turn the hood of my Dakota like this blue one , then that charcoal gray Club cab lowered is that's how I'm going to do mine with those rims all the way around, I wanted to put a V8 in it , but about 5 and 1/2 6 months ago I was sitting at a light and I lost all my old pressure with shot my motor ,so I had no choice but to put a crate motor in it , I didn't have the money to do the modification of changing to a.built 408 stroker that I wanted to do , so then I decided to get my transmission service , well I didn't realize with so many miles on it it's not a good idea , so it fried my transmission out , because of my back surgeries and my arthritis , I had to have a friend of mine put the transmission in for me , so he kinked one of the transmission so less then 3 days on the road it fried my transmission up again so under 2 weeks rebuilt two times , so because of having to put over $10000 in 5 months, so now I'm just going to use what I have in it , so in spring time we are going to redo the heads and port and polish the heads and stronger head studs and drop a nice cam in it , around a 460 lift and around a 246 duration, bore it 30 over , headers and duel exhaust, larger injectors, and changing the oil pump to get better oil pressure, then go back though the transmission with profomance parts , to handle a twin turbo and switch to a 12 bolt with posi and a 3.73 gear , hopefully be up around to 575 horsepower, turning it into a pro street truck for street and the quarter mile track my best friend is a mechanic and because of my health is helping me to finish it , and changed all dash lights to blue LEDS
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Grille
Tire Automotive tire Tread Fender Synthetic rubber
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread
Water Tire Cloud Wheel Hood
Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Tire Wheel Vehicle
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Alloy wheel Headlamp Rim
Automotive parking light Car Tire Vehicle Wheel
Water Liquid Blue Fluid Aqua
Speedometer Odometer Blue Automotive lighting Purple
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Automotive exterior Vehicle

·
Registered
424 Posts
John, I also realize getting older is hard on us I'll be 72 next month with all the aches and pains and a 21 year old son and 20 year old daughter two in college and they will not owe anyone when done. And yes I have a much younger wife. I also have suffered missteps and mistakes costing money I wanted to spend other ways. I restore and or build from scrap vintage race cars. I try very hard to figure project cost to the penny. I ran the numbers over and over on the V6 build. I knew going in it would be $4000 parts and machine work. I have been able to limit mistakes and it has swelled to $5000. I expect I'll be spending another $500 more less on electronics to tune it. Having ported one cyl head intake and exhaust and the second exhaust side only before discovering a crack. I agree there is some low hanging fruit in the cyl heads. I now have new casting. I'm wondering about the two Vs. Volume and velocity and which is best for my needs. The first head I ported I opened up quite a bit removing material port matching and runner work. Now with a new set of heads that are cast much smoother than factory I'm thinking port match and bowl blend only. I'm only looking for 230 HP all motor. If my efforts don't produce the results I'm looking for I will also be looking for a 3.73 ring and pinion for my small rear end. Good luck with your project. Steve

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #165 ·
Hey Steve. I got lucky yesterday, I went to Jacksonville Arkansas to supposaly get a 93 Suzuki 1400cc Intruder for $2000 , $50 per month and no money down, she said that it was never dropped and low mileage, but when I got there and look at it for the same price, it was a 2007 Suzuki 1400cc Boulevard with just 4806 miles on it and it still had the original tires on it , all it needed was a good cleaning and s new gas tank and paint the tank and helmet to match .because of my back fusion I have to remove my back rest so I can swing my leg over the seat , and replace the seat to the single set like the picture of the on in the first picture with the soft tail sport look , and get more of a drag handle bar for it
Tire Plant Fuel tank Automotive lighting Wheel
Tire Wheel Vehicle Plant Motor vehicle
Speedometer Odometer Gauge Tachometer Motor vehicle
Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood
Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motorcycle accessories
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive tire Automotive lighting
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
424 Posts
John, I didn't jump over here to chat about past projects or mid life crisis. I, according to the wife suffer one every ten years or so. I have a bad habit of falling off two wheelers at the worst possible time. My last ride I was cut off three times requiring pulling into the gutter and a complete stop to avoid contact. I pulled into a lot called a friend with a truck we loaded it took it home and have not thrown a leg over one since. That was 1982 and having ridden since I was 11 it was a hard choice to make. Be safe with cell phones no one is paying attention. Steve

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #167 ·
Hey Steve, I'm working on a short project, 3 days ago I bought me a 07 Suzuki 1400cc Boulevard , it has 4806 miles on it and the gas tank was missing, so I got a used tank and made some changes and doing a little bodywork and painting the tank and rear fender this weekend and it will be done .
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Automotive fuel system
Land vehicle Automotive fuel system Tire Fuel tank Wheel

·
Registered
424 Posts
I understand you are enjoying playing with two wheelers. My interest was in regards my posting awhile back. I wanted to know if anyone had attempted a serious 3.9 V6 engine build. I started my build because it was the engine my truck came with. What I do requires I move a single axle trailer with 1500 lb car as load. Having made several north / south runs on 95 the truck lacks power. I'm looking for something between 230 and 250 HP. Basic V8 power from my V6 is all I need.
You have suggested maybe twice that kind of power. Having spent a large part of the last year studying what can be done and what is readily available to work with. I'm well over $5000 into my build and I'm just getting into calling people who can help with the computer controlled issues I'll be facing. I'm sure there is money to be spent on electronics. I won't offer you advice, I have posted my findings as I go along. Good luck if you are not starting till spring I'll be back. Steve

·
Registered
424 Posts
John, if you just want to chat about current affairs, share life stories I'm down with that. This is your thread do with it as you please. This is a big forum there is room for all. Steve

161 - 169 of 169 Posts