Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a 1997 Dakota sport 4x4 with the 3.9. The truck has been running great until today. The truck would always fire right up. Cold or hot, it didn't matter.

I went out to start her up and got nothing but a fast "clicking" sound from under the hood. I tested the lights and nothing was working. No headlights, no radio and no dash lights, nothing. I then went and bought some jumper cables. Hooked them up and after a few minutes went to start the truck. She didn't fire right up like always but she did turn over with no problems. All lights worked even the blower motor was working as it should. The only thing that didn't work was the after market radio (completely dead). I let the truck run for awhile and then took her for a good long ride. When i got home and parked in the drive way, i turned her off. When I went to start again i was back to nothing working and just the "clicking" sound again.

has anyone had this issue or does anyone know what it could be? Thank you for any help you can give me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
your alternator is going out by the sounds of it or the battery. take it to any auto parts store and they should be able to bring out a tester and see if they are working!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for replying. I was beginning to wonder if it was too novice a question to get answered :eek:. I love this truck and want to learn how do the work myself instead of giving her to a shop. Ill post what the fix is so others (if a novice like me) will have it.

Thanks again,
I really appreciate the help~

·
Registered
29 Posts
I know this is a few days old but did you find out what it was?
when my battery went dead it jus happened all of a sudden with no warning, after trying to charge it i took the battery to autozone and they load tested it for me, if i remember with no load it was like 12.9 volts and as soon as they put a load it went down to like 5 volts.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks and update

Thanks to those who responded and tried to help. Heres how it turned out. Finally got the alternator check and it was bad. Had the battery checked and it was bad as well. So I bought a new alternator (136amp) and a new deep cycle battery. After I put it all back together she fired right up. Been out to check it a few times now and everything is working great.

p.s.-with this repair I found that I need a new belt tensioner.

Hope this helps someone later,
thanks gain~

1 - 5 of 5 Posts