Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 Dakota sport with a v-6 and I was wondering if anyone can confirm the bolt size for the drivers side manifold. The bolts in question are in the rear of the engine and the heat shield via extenders attach to these bolts.
The Dodge dealers yes dealers (2) say this bolt is 4 1/2 inches long, I say there's no way. I was able to remove one of the broken bolts from the head and it only went into the head about 1 in. and the flange width on this part of the manifold is only about 1/2 inch, so 4 1/2 inches is way too long. I even called dodge corporate to no avail. Please help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I wish I could help for I have a similar problem. I have a 98 Sport 3.9V6 aswell. On a routine check of the engine after hearing a feint clicking noise that through past experience sounded like and exhaust manifold leak, I began to tighten the bolts on the passenger side. Sure enough they were a little loose, the worst being the furthest most front bolt. It tightened and without much force, BROKE the second bolt in from the front. I haven't had the time to dwell into taking all that off to hopefully extract it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes the bolts that hold the heat shield onto the manifolds are 4.5 inches long,I know this because I've had to dismantle my poor daks powerplant(97 3.9 v6 magnum) due to a thrown rod..(dang p.o. Never changed the oil.) now I'm searching for a replacement engine...can't complain, got it for $400...any one near south eastern ky have a spare 3.9 v6 magnum 97 or newer I can buy?...lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had two Dakotas now and both have had broken exhaust bolts! What is Dodge's problem? Minimum expenditure for maximum profit? At our cost why should they care?!

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
It's not just Dodge having such problems; it's due to how corrosive exhaust gas is, the fact that they SHOULD be removable later; how much they heat up and expand and contract; and several other factors that all make exhaust manifold bolts and studs very friable.

I've been there on Chevys and Fords in the past, too.

RwP

1 - 6 of 6 Posts