Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 dodge dakota 5.2 v8. I just replaced the throttle position sensor and it's still ideling funny. And when I go to take off it acts like it doesn't want to go, then all of a sudden it takes off what could my issue be

·
Registered
548 Posts
It does seem like a problem with the throttle position sensor. Check that the connector is in good condition and the wires are firmly in the connector. With the key on, the orange wire should be getting a 5 volt reference voltage, and the black wire with light blue trace should be grounded through the PCM. The third orange wire with dark blue trace is the TPS signal to the PCM and voltage through this wire should vary with throttle movement. You can check these with the engine off to see if you are getting proper signals at the TPS. Do NOT introduce any voltage through these wire as they all go to the PCM.

You didn't mention any check engine light or codes, so I'm assuming there is no information there.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I'm not sure which high voltage you're referring to - do you mean P0123 TPS circuit high input, with P0120 TPS circuit malfunction? Please provide specific codes.
If these are the errors you're getting, then you need to check that the 5 volt reference voltage is correct, and that the signal voltage is changing smoothly as you move the throttle plate slowly from closed to full open (see my first post). Again, confirm the condition and integrity of the wiring and connectors.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts