Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All:!

I am a newbie here and I have a couple questions for ya all. I have a 99 Dakota with the 3.9, 4x4 and 4.10 gear set that was intalled by the previous owner. I just purchased a rather large camper and I was wondering if you all think that my truck, when properly set up, will pull a camper that is 7700 lbs when loaded. I DO realize that is a lots of weight for a small-ish truck.. But, my truck is pretty stout, and has 6 leafs in the rear springs and is very stiff. And I do realize that a camper is different than hauling a car.. I have hauled a car on a trailer at a total weight of 6500lbs and it had no problem

It has the light duty A500 with a large trans cooler on it and 2 years ago, I had to replace the torque converter with a "heavy duty" one. Since I have purchased the camper, I am hesitant to spend more money on a truck if I can make this one do the job.

I don't plan on long trips and my are is totally flat land.

I would appriciate any help I could recieve.

Thank you all!!
Tony

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Welcome! Glad to have you with us!

well i'm sure the 4.10 gears will handle it and they are what you want to tow stuff for sure. you'll get crappy gas mileage though

it sounds like it should be fine. only way to tell is to try it and see

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Welcome to the Z Family from Southern Georgia!
Glad you decided to join us.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, today, I pulled the camper with the truck.. I just wanted to let ya"ll know that It had no issues at all.. I just need to remember to hook up the weight bars and sway control and add the trailer brake control unit and we will be all set!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts