Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all I'm new here looking for some help ofcourse.
Have a 99 Dakota 3.9 5 spd 4x4 with 288k miles.
really like the little truck and have drove it about 3k miles over the past few months but it's going down hill now

P1391 and p0340 codes keep coming up
The truck starts right up idles fine and runs great at wide open throttle
IIn between is where it gets funny it will start bucking and jumping the tach jumping all over the place

But even when it's running bad I can push the clutch in and it idles fine and I have noticed that low RPM lugging the motor it runs fine

This is a problem that comes and goes been about 3 weeks now but has progressively became more frequent
Parts I replaced before I even started driving the truck back in may
Cam sensor, crank sensor, cap,button ,plugs,wires I have now replace the cam sensor again and I also have a new TPS and ignition coil now. But she's still doing the same thing

I drove it about 40 miles before it started back up this morning with issues
I do have some videos of the truck running and doing its thing if that is helpful to see I can upload to youtube
Any help is appreciated

·
Registered
2003 Dakota Sport, club cab, 3.9L V6, 5 speed manual
880 Posts
Those codes indicate the PCM is not getting a consistently good signal from the camshaft and/or crankshaft position sensors, and can not accurately schedule the injectors and spark, hence the symptoms. I'll attach the diagram from the 2003 FSM for these circuits. Wire colors and pinouts are the same for the 1999 Dakota. Check wiring integrity at the connections to the PCM and to the sensors, especially the sensor ground connection at the PCM (connector 1, pin 4). Then check that you are getting a consistent 5 volt reference signal on the orange wires. Also inspect the wiring bundles for any area where it may be rubbing against any component in the engine compartment.

Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Diagram

1 - 2 of 2 Posts