Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a very well used, not mint, extended cab 99 Dakota with the 5.2, automatic, 4wd. I live in the cold climate of central Minnesota and when this occured it was about minus 10F. (i listed the wrong engine in the subject line, fyi)

I have had to, for the last 1.5 yrs, to start the truck, turn the key on, listenfor the fuel pressure, turn the key further to try and start for 5 seconds. Shut key off, turn key back on,listen, start and it fires up and runs perfect. I had been told it was fuel pressure issues and probably simple to fix. I have never pursued it.

Last week, driving back from town and it just died. coasted off the highway (am out in the very rural country) and coasted to a stop. Tried to start. fires up, dies. start, fires up, dies. (plenty of fuel, that isn't it)

It is a beater truck, but it had been running great (after starting)

Now, I am turning to you experts to advise me. What are your thoughts?

( I am not much of a mechanic, I get by but don't assume I know anything when explaining, I will need the "helpful dad" descriptions :) )

·
Registered
372 Posts
It could still be fuel pressure. It may have enough to start, but not enough to run properly. I would first start with replacement of the fuel filter, because, really, when's the last time it was done? Are there any CELs? Check fuel pressure. Have you smelled rotten egg from the exhaust?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry to have to ask; what is a CEL? (something error light?)

how do I check fuel pressure?

(lol, warned you, not much of a mechanic!)

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Check Engine Light.

You use a fuel pressure gauge; you screw it onto the fuel rails Schrader valve, and see what the pressure is.

RwP

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It could still be fuel pressure. It may have enough to start, but not enough to run properly. I would first start with replacement of the fuel filter, because, really, when's the last time it was done? Are there any CELs? Check fuel pressure. Have you smelled rotten egg from the exhaust?
What does the rotten egg smell tell us? I often find myself sitting behind people at a stop light that have this issue. Or that accelerate away from a stop light and then I often notice it there, too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts