Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings from sunny tucsn az.I just bought my 1st dodge truck! its a 1999 dakota clubcab 4x4 w/5.2, auto power locks, windows, tilt, cruise,overhead consol. The previous owner was a young kid who did alot of mods to the truck some turned out nice like the off road suspension with a lift and ranchos all around but he sucked at fabrication and the electrical wireing he did and the mess he left behind is aggrevating to say the least, i think he was a typical teen and had a bumping system that he removed prior to selling it evidenced by all the holes and misc wires left behind.I did not think i would like this truck as much as i do but im sold it rides and drives great and the 318 magnum with flow master exhaust sounds just right. While working on it today i found some more odd wires this time there was two that were grounded together oddly under the drivers seat to the floor pan i followed the black one that went along the bottom door jamb behind the panel up under the dash that continued towards the stereo area and it had a female end that was not connected to any thing and the other wire was blue which spliced into a red which went under the dash also but was grouped with a couple more blue wires i seen a red wire rigged into the fuse panel on the side and it looked like a classic jerry rigged power supplt for a stereo so i gave em a good yank and ripped them out from under the seat and to remove them when i discovered that aside from the blach wire they ran down and were spliced into the wires coming out the back of the OBD plug then ran up to the overhead consol then two more blue wires ran from the consol under the dash through the fire wall along the fender through the grill and ended up connected to what i think is the outside temp sensor for the led readout in the consol it was mounted next to the lamps with a zip strip and does not look factory and all the wires in mention are not factory either i dont think because of the gauge and color so after the shock of seeing this i realized i might be in trouble and sure enough it turns over fires up for about two seconds and sputrs and quits like its running out of gas and i should mention that a block from my house the low fuel light came on but the DTE distance till end readout on the overhead consol said 40 miles till empty so is this odd wire i pulled the possible cause or do these trucks do this when that low on fuel cause the other day i drove a good 15 miles when the light came on so if anyone reading this can help with a fix or a wire diagram for the consol and OBD or i could use a service/repair manual pdf or a link to a free one i would be greatful cause im broke for now and stranded you can email me if you want at [email protected] thanks. p.s this site is awesome i had no idea there were still mopar people, in 1979 i learned to drive in my brothers beautiful 69 roadrunner with a 440 magnum blueprinted and balanced ported and polished with roller rockers and cam a holley 1150 double pumper a 4spd with the hurst shifter air grabber hood that worked chrome cragger ss rims and hush thrush topping off the hooker headers when i slammed 2nd just right the glove box popped open and i loveed the beep beep horn. in high school my buddy had a 71 challenger white with the black graphics on the side i had a 71 cuda convertible purple plum and the only car in the world that could make that color look fast as it was had a 71 dart with 1800 horses that stood straight some times a v6 duster that was a lump but oh well. So thankful to grow up in that era, my uncle had a 55 nomad my future brother in law whom i love like a brother had a 57chevy and a 64 or 69 barracuda cant remember the one with the big window and the drags were awesome back then the hemi under glass,grumpys camaros,don the snake purdome vs tom the mongoose mcewen i had the matchbox funny cars for both of them ! an era gone but not forgoten!

·
Banned
2,418 Posts
Hello and welcome!

Good to have you with us, I hope you enjoy the board!
You might want to try posting your question here where more mechanical minded people will see it and greater your chances for an answer :)

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Welcome to the Z family from Southern Georgia!
Glad you decided to join us.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts