Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thanks for joining me for the latest episode of Murphy's Law: The Blue Demon Chronicles.

Last night as I was traveling from Brunswick (GA) to Tabor City (NC), I stopped for gas near Florence (SC) to fuel up for the last hour of my ride. When I started back up, my truck acted as though the battery was weak and had difficulty starting up. Once it did start, there was much smoke and a thud that ended it. I had an idea of what had happened, so when I opened the hood my suspicions were confirmed. :eek: My A/C compressor, which had been failing, finally burned up its bearing and seized up while burning up my serpentine belt in the process. I found a lighted area to park it and called someone to take me to my Mom's house (about 45 minutes away). I got there about 12:30am.

So the challenge today was to find a belt for a 5.9 Dakota without air. Apparently, most came with air. I searched on the web and made calls for about an hour before finding one. Once I picked it up and got back to my truck, alas, it was too short. The closest auto parts store (that was open today) was about 12 miles away. Well, I'll spare you the litany of frustrated grunts and profanity and sum it up with: the third belt I tried fit. After a quick check of fluids (was low on coolant as it quickly overheated with no fan or water pump running), I was back on the road and my truck once again made it to my Mom's house about 14 hours after my orginal ETA. Thankfully, I didn't need a wrecker this time around.:)

No animals were harmed in the retelling of this episode.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
can't wait for the next episode LOL

glad you got that fixed. my belt broke on my neon driving to work one day, luckily it was the accessory belt, but that meant no power steering :(

and next time you come to NC we need to meet up!

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
can't wait for the next episode LOL

glad you got that fixed. my belt broke on my neon driving to work one day, luckily it was the accessory belt, but that meant no power steering :(

and next time you come to NC we need to meet up!
I hope the next episode has a happy ending minus the intermission.:)

I agree. I need to plan a trip that takes me closer to your part of NC.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you are so lucky , it could have been snowing and -30c. lol
Very true. It could have been much worse.:) In fact, if it had been that cold and snowing in Florence, SC in late May, my serpentine belt would have been the least of problems. That would be like "Day After Tomorrow" stuff.:D

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I hope the next episode has a happy ending minus the intermission.:)

I agree. I need to plan a trip that takes me closer to your part of NC.
dont mind meeting halfway somewhere for lunch!

Very true. It could have been much worse.:) In fact, if it had been that cold and snowing in Florence, SC in late May, my serpentine belt would have been the least of problems. That would be like "Day After Tomorrow" stuff.:D
LMAO

·
Registered
149 Posts
That's funny stuff. If crazy things like that happen up here, that's usually the weather that it would happen in.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Sad to hear about your serpentine problem and having to bypass the A/C compressor.
I heard similar "grinding noises" from my A/C clutch bearing and was able to pull the
clutch off (splined shaft), pull out the bearing, and clean it repack it with chassis/
bearing grease. All you have to do is pop off the dust shield on the bearing with
a swiss army knife blade or a jewels screwdriver and then snap it back on once
the bearing is repacked. Still works good 4 years later and I saved myself the
problem of the bearing seizing up on me.

Did that with the belt tensioner as well..it had a grinding sound, so I took it off,
washed out the bearing and repacked it. Unfortunate that they don't seem
to put enough grease in these bearings (like the front wheel hubs) and they
seem to pack up earlier than otherwise.

·
Registered
242 Posts
glad to hear you got it back on the road. funny how stuff like that always happens out on the road. I lost a rear diff in Ft. Benning GA.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update

I'm having the A/C compressor replaced along with some associated parts for warranty's sake on Thursday. Its also a good time to replace the belt tensioner which is squeaking at first start up. It will be nice to have my A/C back; it has been pretty hot down in Coastal Georgia.:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts