Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '03 Dakota Quadcab. It's my dream truck, and my work truck.
Q#1:I just noticed that my brake lights aren't working. I tried my emergency flashers, and they work fine. But nothing when I push the brake pedal. Wouldn't that indicate the brake pedal switch? I also could not find a fuse listed for the brake light circuit.

Q#2: As my work truck, I am usually carrying a medium load of about 500# in the box, and I have a topper. This makes the truck look slightly lower in the back when you look at it from the side. What is the best way to get a 3" lift in the back? I also would like to do a 2" lift in the front, but have been told by on 4x4 shop there is no way to do it. Another shop told me they could do it by tightening the torsion bars on the front. Anybody have suggestions.

Thanks, bda54

·
Registered
0 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Yeah, I'd suspect the switch as well but our resident tech will be along soon.

I'd add some springs or bags to the back end to level the load.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Your suspicion about the brake lamp switch is probably on the money. They're inexpensive and easy to install. As for raising the front, Yes, you can crank the torsion bars up but i can't say for sure you'll get 2 full inches of lift. The other down side is that your ride will be stiffer in the front. You might want to look into a lift kit in the height range you want and then look into ways to get an additional 3 inches in the rear. Blocks, overload springs or airbags are the most common ways to raise the back end.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Welcome to DakotaForumZ!!! A "helper" or "overload" spring might be just the ticket for you to maintain the same height as the front when loaded. Those helper bags are supposed to be pretty sharp as well, but you would then have to mount an air compressor or have a way of airing them up each time you wanted to use them.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Welcome!!! glad to have you with us and glad you got some help right off the bat!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi All,
Thanks for the warm welcome!
I replaced the brake pedal switch, and I found a 20A FLS fuse in the power distribution box under the hood that said ST LAMP,(stop lamp I assume). Still no brake lights. My hazard lights work as well as every thing else. Any ideas????

bda54

·
Registered
250 Posts
I'm going to assume that your 3rd brake light isn't working either. If you have power in and out of the stop lamp switch, I think the problem could be in the white/tan wire going to the junction block (fuse panel in the cab) or a problem in the block itself.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Welcome to the forum, glad to have you! Sorry to hear about your problem, but looks like you're getting some good help so hopefully you can get this resolved! Good luck and I hope you enjoy the site! :)

- Cajun

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the diagram!!!!

With the wiring diagram I was able to determine that the brand new switch that I purchased from NAPA was defective. I purchased another and it worked but only when the pedal was at least half way depressed. I exchanged it for another one and the third try was the charm. It works. Thanks much for the help! Have a good Thanksgiving.

bda54

1 - 12 of 12 Posts