Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello , my name is Tyler. I drive a 1989 dodge Dakota. It had a 2.5L 5 speed in it. I'm buying another truck just for the motor. It has a 360 backed by a auto trans. I want to keep the truck 5 speed. The 5 speed that's in my truck is an a535. The engine is coming out of a 98 ram 1500. What problems will I run into putting the 360 into my Dakota? I'm trying to get as much info as possible. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Hello , my name is Tyler. I drive a 1989 dodge Dakota. It had a 2.5L 5 speed in it. I'm buying another truck just for the motor. It has a 360 backed by a auto trans. I want to keep the truck 5 speed. The 5 speed that's in my truck is an a535. The engine is coming out of a 98 ram 1500. What problems will I run into putting the 360 into my Dakota? I'm trying to get as much info as possible. Thanks.
1) If you keep the 1989 front end, the 360 will need to have the clutch fan removed, the spacer removed (use short bolts to hold the water pump pulley to the water pump, if it even needs them!), and an electric fan inserted between the radiator and the condensor. That's what Carroll Shelby's crew had to do for the Shelbys with the 5.2 (same outer dimensions block).

2) You'll need a 5.9 flywheel, the 360/5.9 is externally balanced.

3) The current 5 speed may need a new bell housing, and TBH, it's not designed to handle the torque of a 360/5.9, so I'd consider heavily upgrading to a NV3500 or equivalent.

4) Is the motor still fuel injected? If so, you'll have to rewire to use a SEFI ECU - I'd use parts out of a 1996 Dakota with the 5.2 if it were me.

Good news, that 1998 5.9 will have the Magnum mounts, so you can use the same motor mounts the 3.9 for 1989 used.

I THINK you will also need a Dakota oil pan; not sure the RAM oil pan will swap into the Dakota frame.

RwP

1 - 2 of 2 Posts