Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks,

About a month ago my brakes softened up and the ABS and Brake lights came on together. At first I just topped off the brake fluid and they stiffened up a bit. I then changed my front pads and bled the lines. The brakes felt normal after that, pedal nice and firm, but lights still on. I then took off the proportional valve, took it apart and cleaned it up a bit. It seems to be working fine. Lights still on. I checked the rear speed sensor in the diff, and it looks okay. I have no issues with my speedo so I think that's fine. All of the fuse ports, under the dash, and under the hood, for ABS are empty. I am assuming those are for 4WD purposes, and that's why I have no ABS fuses?

I am so confused and I CANT STAND LOOKING AT THOSE LIGHTS! The ABS is definitely NOT working. Front brakes lock and truck goes into a skid.

My next step is to replace the wheel speed sensor on the front passenger side. Is this the wrong tree to climb?? Please tell me I can fix this without getting ripped off.

Thanks!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Before throwing parts at it, I'd get the light diagnosed. Could be something as simple as the ABS speed sensor, or something as massive (though unlikely) as the ABS valves. Heck, could have tone rings that are gummed up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

Do you know if an auto parts store can diagnose that light? I heard that you had to go to the dealer for that. Figuring they would charge me at least $100 to diagnose, I decided to throw parts at it!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Some parts stores may have a scanner you can borrow/rent that have the capability of reading ABS codes. You can purchase your own scan tool that will be able to do that as well. Helpful in the future and to other people for finding out what your CEL is.

Otherwise, yes, the dealership.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts