Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well this is my seond time on here. I really dont know if this will really help. I honestly dont consider myself a fan by any means. Im just looking for advice on my truck. I have a 89, sport, 4WD. im puting a new AC compressor and clutch in it because the person who sold it to me failed to mention that it didnt work. I bought it in the winter and didnt bother to use the cold AC till summer and well... it didnt work. Anyways im about to put in a new one and cant decide what to do. i can buy a new AC compreesor and clutch for around $320 with a 2 year warranty. Or a referbished one for $270, this also comes with the clutch and the two year. Is $50 worth saying its new?

oh ya i tried to find a bypass pully and that was impossible to find for my year.

·
Registered
3 Posts
A/C compressor

I would first go to pull-a-part.com in your area (if you have one)and see if you can get one that way. It sometimes takes a little looking around but you can find ones that are in pretty good shape. Also, see what years and make would match in your search like the Durango I know is very similar.

·
Registered
830 Posts
well this is my seond time on here. I really dont know if this will really help. I honestly dont consider myself a fan by any means. Im just looking for advice on my truck. I have a 89, sport, 4WD. im puting a new AC compressor and clutch in it because the person who sold it to me failed to mention that it didnt work. I bought it in the winter and didnt bother to use the cold AC till summer and well... it didnt work. Anyways im about to put in a new one and cant decide what to do. i can buy a new AC compreesor and clutch for around $320 with a 2 year warranty. Or a referbished one for $270, this also comes with the clutch and the two year. Is $50 worth saying its new?

oh ya i tried to find a bypass pully and that was impossible to find for my year.
Is the magnetic clutch pulley still rotating on the old compressor, and does it pull in and cycle the compressor, when you turn on the A/C?
If it is, and the magnetic clutch bearing isn't making any noise, the compressor is working...you are probably short on gas.

If it isn't cycling, there is a low pressure sensor switch that prevent the compressor from cycling, if it is short on gas.
There is also a high pressure sensor switch if the pressure is too high to protect the compressor and system.
Don't know on the 89s but on the newer Daks, the A/C selection is sensed by the PCM and the ac pressure switches
are sensed by it as well. The PCM operates the A/C relay (in PDC) which turns on the compressor clutch. The compressor
clutch has a 20amp fuse in the PDC. There is a 7amp fuse in the fuse panel which feeds the A/C clutch relay and
the low temp cutout switch.

I don't know what type of refrigerant the older Daks use, (probably R12?), but the newer ones use R134.
You can buy a charging kit/hose and cans of 134a, and add yourself to the LOW side service valve side on the
receiver/dryer.... (the round aluminum can , that has the fittings on it that go to the compressor and the evaporator inside the passenger compartment)

If the compressor needs to be replaced, then the dryer probably needs to be replaced as well., since the system is
open to the atmosphere at that point. Current regulations state that if it's R12 in the system, you need to take it in to a A/C service place and have the system evacuated first, tested for leaks and then recharged if the system has no
leaks, otherwise the service center will RED TAG it.

However, if you haven't done a quick test of the compressor magnetic clutch with a bypass jumper to see if the compressor and clutch are working, you should probably do that first before disturbing the system.

If the clutch is not cycling the compressor:

Test the A/C clutch by:
1. Have engine warmed up, idling.
2. Turn on A/C on MAX and fan on highest setting.
3. Disconnect the low pressure cycling switch (usually located on the receiver/dryer).
4. Insert a paper clip into the switch connector (wire side) as a temporary jumper
5. If the compressor clutch kicks in and turns the compressor, and no bearing noises,
the A/C system pressures are either too low , (or possibly too high, and the high pressure switch has opened).
There is also a low temperature cutout switch, but it would not be involved here, I don't think.

6. At this point, reconnect the low pressure switch. Depending on type of refrigerant used, add some refrigerant to the system (but no more than 2 cans).
Note R12 cannot be bought in cans anymore because of CFCs, but R134a is available.

If your system uses R12, you have no choice but to take it in to a licenced A/C shop and have the system
purged, checked for leaks and refilled.

If the compressor clutch does not kick in with the low pressure switch jumpered, then check for a blown fuses.
There are two fuses used with the A/C system.
The larger fuse is in the PDC and the smaller fuse is in the fuse panel on the driver's side of the dash. There is also a compressor clutch relay located in the PDC.

So if it was me, I would do these tests first before disconnecting the compressor from the A/C system.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts