Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to replace my OEM coil with the Accel coil and upgrade my ignition wires to some that are newer and easier on the eyes (Fire Wire 10mm). The coil was an easy swap in (today), but my wires are on backorder.:(

I'm not sure if its the coil or not, but since I installed it I noticed an immediate improvement in acceleration in high gear at highway speed. I'll be watching my mileage closely as I travel to NC.:)

I believe shorty headers will be next on my list (possibly with a true dual exhaust system) and Mopar valve covers soon after. Once those are done, I'll be working on replacing some body pieces on my front end and adding a rool pan. It never seems to stop...:cool:

·
Registered
830 Posts
I decided to replace my OEM coil with the Accel coil and upgrade my ignition wires to some that are newer and easier on the eyes (Fire Wire 10mm). The coil was an easy swap in (today), but my wires are on backorder.:(

I'm not sure if its the coil or not, but since I installed it I noticed an immediate improvement in acceleration in high gear at highway speed. I'll be watching my mileage closely as I travel to NC.:)
Is this the Accel coil you installed?
http://performanceparts.com/part/Accel/140021

You should find a big difference over the stock coil. These have more
secondary winding energy and a "fatter spark". Easier starts and
more spark energy available at higher rpms complared to the stock
coils. Definitely a good investment especially with performance
ignition wires and plugs.

I expect you should see a slightly better fuel economy with a full upgrade
(coil/wires/platinum plugs) if most of your driving is highway with O/D engaged.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is this the Accel coil you installed?
http://performanceparts.com/part/Accel/140021

You should find a big difference over the stock coil. These have more
secondary winding energy and a "fatter spark". Easier starts and
more spark energy available at higher rpms complared to the stock
coils. Definitely a good investment especially with performance
ignition wires and plugs.

I expect you should see a slightly better fuel economy with a full upgrade
(coil/wires/platinum plugs) if most of your driving is highway with O/D engaged.
That's the one. I'm very pleased so far. I used an Accel HEI super coil on my '77 Firebird and it worked great which led me to give this one a try on my Dakota. Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts