Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my father and i have found many accessories have the majority of the wiring in the vehicle installed even without the accessory there. that being said i have a 96 dakota sport and could save the headache if i knew which wires and any other info needed to install fog lights with the stock wiring, thanks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Not actually a reply, but I'm doing the same thing, on the same model. 1996 Dakota Sport. I have the lights but I can't make heads or tails of the wiring in the engine compartment. I do have some harnesses under the dash, but no idea which wires may need.

This would save me a TON of time and effort. My light kit came with "everything". I say that sarcastically as it doesn't look to me like it came with nearly enough wire. And, if I want the rocker switch illuminated, the instructions flat out tell me to buy more with what type of wire to get.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
830 Posts
my father and i have found many accessories have the majority of the wiring in the vehicle installed even without the accessory there. that being said i have a 96 dakota sport and could save the headache if i knew which wires and any other info needed to install fog lights with the stock wiring, thanks.
In the PDC, there is a place for a 15amp fuse for fog lights.
The 15amp fuse supplies battery to one side of the fog lamps.

The ground side of the fog lamps go to the FOG LAMP RELAY contacts in the PDC which go to S183 in the PDC.
The Fog Lamp relay coil control comes in from the the multifunction switch (turn signal stalk) and feeds
the 12v side of the fog lamp relay COIL. The ground side of the fog lamp relay COIL goes to S183 in the PDC, which may
be a ground source.

Now to make this all work properly, the headlamp switch contacts need to switch off the high beam lamps when the fog lamps are on, so this is the tricky part to wire up what looks like (a ground contact) from the headlight switch.

Maybe yours already has this wiring in place, but missing the fuse and fog lamp relay?

Headlight switch contacts are:
0-off
1- park lights
2 -head lights
7- fog lights. ( but this one may be a separate push button illuminated fog lamp switch, like I have on mine, next to the headlamp switch, but I'm not sure)

ALSO the Headlamp Beam Select (part of the multifunction) stalk switch has to be able to control the fog lamp RELAY COIL, such that IF you do a Flash (with the headlight dimmer) from high to low beam,
the fog lamp relay will operate, and the fog lamps will come on, (provided the fog lamp switch is pushed on).

When you flash the dimmer switch (part of the multifunction switch) back to HIGH beams, the headlamp select (flash)
12v feed to the Fog lamp relay coil becomes open, the relay contacts open.. and the fog lamps go OFF.

In other words, the High beams and fog lamps are MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts