Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone i have a 2008 dodge dakota 4.7 with 115k on it. always maintained well. wondering what routes i should be looking at for safe power and still be able to daily as i can now. i have a flow master and a k&n filter replacement and that’s it. i was looking to get superchips f5 flash pack and using 87 tune to keep it healthy and “wake” it up. and also put bigger black wheels on it with a leveling kit. please help i know that’s a lot but i’m super lost trying to find info/advice. thanks!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
If your tires are larger diameter than before, you have lost at-the-wheel torque in the process. Consider changing the differential gears to a numerically higher ratio to either get back or increase your torque. I'm no expert on hotrodding a 4.7, but I do know basic physics.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I bought one of these performance chips for my 02 Dakota, I haven't used it yet since my truck is all torn apart right now, but another member on these forums is happy with it on his 03 I know. It fits 1996-2012 models. If you do buy it, at least when I got mine I used the "Make Offer" system and figured out the seller has it preset to automatically accept $45 and up, so offer that and you'll save 12 bucks. Fits 1996-2012 Dodge Dakota - Performance Tuner Chip Power Tuning Programmer | eBay

·
Registered
2011 Ram Dakota Laramie (QC, 4.7L V8)
38 Posts
I guess it mostly depends on what you want it to do outside of being a daily driver. Offroad, towing, hauling, etc?

For power, most seem to have gotten the most impact from a tuner, like Superpaqs or Bullydog. For torque, the best seems to be going up in the numeric ratio for the rear diff. 4.10 seems to be the most common, though a few have a gone higher (4.25, I think...can't find the threads right now).

These trucks don't have any real lift options and the leveling options are limited. They're also fairly limited on wheel and tire sizing. But, these threads might help with that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hello everyone i have a 2008 dodge dakota 4.7 with 115k on it. always maintained well. wondering what routes i should be looking at for safe power and still be able to daily as i can now. i have a flow master and a k&n filter replacement and that’s it. i was looking to get superchips f5 flash pack and using 87 tune to keep it healthy and “wake” it up. and also put bigger black wheels on it with a leveling kit. please help i know that’s a lot but i’m super lost trying to find info/advice. thanks!!
If yours has the square air box connected to the throttle body it helps to replace it with a 4" pvc elbow to eliminate the small air passages in that box.You'llll & tap a hole for the sensor from the old box also a short piece of. pvc to the flex hosehose.Remove the filter box and cut down the high ribs then cover the bottom (ribs) with thin aluminum sheet for a smooth air path. Then a K & N [email protected]

[/QUOTE]
[/QUO
TE]

·
Registered
28 Posts
If yours has the square air box connected to the throttle body it helps to replace it with a 4" pvc elbow to eliminate the small air passages in that box.You'llll & tap a hole for the sensor from the old box also a short piece of. pvc to the flex hosehose.Remove the filter box and cut down the high ribs then cover the bottom (ribs) with thin aluminum sheet for a smooth air path. Then a K & N [email protected]

So you're saying ditch the second air box and create a straight runner while still retaining the stock filter box with a K&N filter? That's not too bad of an idea I've been thinking about intake idea's and this might be one I try. Also looked at those 'cheap' dual ram air kit's but even it I went that way I'd still make both the end runners longer and use real filters.

My opinion for safe power options would be performance coils, there a not super shady company that sells a mid-range and high-end set for the platform. As someone else stated a set of rear gears especially with a lift and bigger tire would go a long way on these trucks. I'm in the market to try some of those china Scitto injectors whenever I get around to it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So you're saying ditch the second air box and create a straight runner while still retaining the stock filter box with a K&N filter? That's not too bad of an idea I've been thinking about intake idea's and this might be one I try. Also looked at those 'cheap' dual ram air kit's but even it I went that way I'd still make both the end runners longer and use real filters.

My opinion for safe power options would be performance coils, there a not super shady company that sells a mid-range and high-end set for the platform. As someone else stated a set of rear gears especially with a lift and bigger tire would go a long way on these trucks. I'm in the market to try some of those china Scitto injectors whenever I get around to it.
This worked for me as I. traverse a 4 mi. hill frequently and I see a definite difference in mid-range power and maybe a few mpg.The lower gears will surely give you a power boost but hurt mpg. Good luck

·
Registered
128 Posts
I agree with above statements.......delete the air box and get the k&n directly off the throttle body. I noticed a huge difference and I drive off road hills and highways each day. The tuner will make a difference as well. A true dual exhaust will help a bit as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts