Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 Dodge Dakota 4x4 4.7 v8. My airbag light on my dash is on constantly after I turn the truck on. It started intermittently as I backed out of my driveway and turned slightly. Now it’s just on all the time. My cruise control and horn work perfectly which are the only buttons on my steering wheel. I read it could be a clock spring, is there anything else I can check or do as it’s a relatively expensive fix.

·
Registered
693 Posts
It could be a very simple fix, or an expensive one. There is only one way to find out, you need to connect an advanced OBDII code reader, one that reads SRS and ABS codes. Usually the local auto parts place only has a basic code reader, but you may get lucky. Here is one such advanced code reader. Anything else is just a guess, and there's no sense just throwing parts at it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for your advice. Will any of these parts stores rent out one of these scan tools or would I have to buy one? I rented tools from oreileys to do a wheel bearing in the past. I’ll prob end up buying one just because of the little issues I’ve experienced so far with this Dakota. It’s nice though that most of the things can be repaired at home instead of bringing it in to a shop. That makes sense though at not throwing parts at it. I’ve read some posts of people trying to run codes and didn’t get anything, must’ve not had one that read abs and airbag codes

·
Registered
693 Posts
Auto stores let costomers use their code reader, but it's almost always the basic code reader, not able to read SRS/ABS codes. So unless you get lucky, you'd have to buy one. It's a good investment, it beats paying the mechanic his fee to simply read (and clear) a code for you, over & over again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I found on my 2005 . I know it is newer but the front right sensor had corroded. Mine would be intermittent as well. I removed the sensor and unplugged it and deep inside you could see the corrosion. Just disconnect the battery before any electrical work.

·
Registered
115 Posts
First make sure it's not just a fuse/relay. Second, how old is your battery? Being in a cold climate, if it's older than 3 years replace it. (Been there, done that, felt stupid) Third, you can at least get a code from the auto parts store, and go from there. The Takata recall wouldn't cause your light, just make sure it's been replaced.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts