Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1988 3.9 auto

1988 3.9 Litre auto , cranks no start,crank again starts and runs fine,this happens cold or hot,asking for any ideas before I begin putting parts on and waste money ,Thanks

·
Registered
527 Posts
Try turning the key to on, don't crank, for about 4-5 seconds, then turn the key back off. Do this two or three times, then try to start. If it starts right away, the fuel pressure is bleeding down while shut off. I'm not sure if the fuel pressure regulator is near the engine or in the fuel tank on your Dakota, but that would be the culprit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good evening,thanks for the tip of fuel pressure regulator,$90.00 at Napa,friends have suggested Hall Effect in distributor/Fuel relay.....your tip makes most sense to me,gonna purchase and give it a try,I1ll post the result for sure,thanks again,Roger

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Good evening,thanks for the tip of fuel pressure regulator,$90.00 at Napa,friends have suggested Hall Effect in distributor/Fuel relay.....your tip makes most sense to me,gonna purchase and give it a try,I1ll post the result for sure,thanks again,Roger
*boggles*

$90 at NAPA?

RockAuto's most expensive is $46 ....

I'd shop around a bit.

But there's two other possible places - you may have an injector leaking out, and the pump may be leaking back into the tank bleeding pressure off. If the regulator doesn't cure this, that's what you look at next.

Bad news - you can't buy a new pump assembly, but have to rebuild your current pump assembly.

Good news - it's not that hard to do.

RwP

1 - 4 of 4 Posts