Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a question regarding the squeaking from the rear of my truck when accelerating from 0 to about 20-35. I got it narrowed down to it being rear drum brakes or parking brake cable. When my truck was turned off, I yanked on the parking brake cable and it made the same squeaking it does when I accelerate. I had my Dad pull on it as I went around trying to find the exact spot and come to find out, the noise is coming from *inside* the driver side drum brake. It sounds like a rusty spring noise, after 35 mph or so, it goes away.

The truck is at about 104,000 miles and we have never changed the drum brakes. Front brakes were recently changed but it is starting to feel like I have to push the brake pedal down farther to come to a stop. We had just moved to a new house with a driveway that is very steep so we started using the parking brake for the first time in years. Just after a week or two of using it every day, the squeaking started. Inside the truck with windows rolled up, it sounds like sheet metal rubbing, but with the windows down it is obvious it's an annoying squeak that echos. Any ideas on what to do? Thought of lubing the cables or something, but I'm not quite sure.

If it also helps diagnosing the problem, a night it rained and one of the streets was flooded about a foot of water. Drove through it at about 30 mph and it actually stopped squeaking for a few days. I can't always find a foot of water to shut it up though =/ Lol!

·
Registered
486 Posts
It sounds like it may be getting close to rear brake job time for your truck. I don't think it would hurt anything to at least clean and adjust the rear shoes and lube the parking brake cable, PB Blaster worked well for me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It certainly could be your drum brake adjusters causing it. Setting the parking brake and backing down a hill to a stop should cause the adjuster to adjust outward to reduce the travel of the shoes as they spread out to meet the drum surface. However, is it only when you apply the brakes do you hear it, or all the time?

M

·
0 Posts
I have a 2005 dakota. Chirping sound from wheels. My mechanic suggested it was dust or dirt on the rotors. Sound goes away when I apply brakes. I hosed down the brakes and noise went away for an entire day. I was also told when applying brakes to push down hard. After doing that several times I popped the brake lines. I also had my my rear universal joint replaced during this time and some of the noise has disappeared. This is 3rd fix attempt for the chirping. I now need to find out how much replacing the brake lines will cost. I hope this helps. By the way I have had numerous front end problems none of which has been covered by my factory warranty.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts