Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've posted a few things here only to fix it on my own. I'm trying to avoid that, but transmissions are totally out of my league.

I have a 96 Dakota and here's my thing. I'm not exactly sure how the overdrive is supposed to react naturally as I've never had overdrive. I don't really notice anything going certain speeds. The light on the OD switch doesn't come on so I have no idea how it's supposed to look. ( I bought the car little over a week ago so I'm still learning it's little cliches. )

On top of this, and I don't know that it's related, but my trans slips into neutral at odd times. Not often, just once in a while. And it's always when I'm rolling and need a little "get go". I just wiggle the shift and that takes care of it.

Does anyone know if these are related and how to proceed? TIA

·
Registered
64 Posts
It sounds like the detents in your shifter are not properly aligned with the gate in the transmission. The problem of it slipping into neutral, only to be corrected by wiggling the shifter sounds like that might be the case. The trans may not be completely engaged in drive so overdrive will not kick in. Check to make sure that when the gear selector says it's in first gear, that it's not actualy in between first and second.

Also check the wire from the vehicle speed sensor (VSS) on the side of the transfer case. Make sure this wire is not damaged, and that the harness is completely plugged into the VSS. If the PCM can't read a speed signal from the VSS then it doesn't know actual vehicle speed, hence not know when to engage the overdrive solenoid.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts