Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to either "tint" my lights OR use tinted Covers, IF they will stay in place while driving. If Nobody has tried this, I have an extra pair of headlights that I will see IF I can do it AND still get enough light through, to properly use. I DO have a set of HOD head light bulbs coming for the Dakota (the HOD lights are the difference between night and day) and is simply done by swapping the bulbs out and that's it!

The HOD light bulbs are available through:

Advanced Automotive Concepts

One of our vendors. ;)

·
Banned
2,418 Posts
You talking the headlights or tails?

I did my tails but with a light coat. Was the 2nd job on mine, first time they turned out too dark (even though they looked great!!) and my caravan peeps last year on the way to Gatty said they were unsafe.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You talking the headlights or tails?

I did my tails but with a light coat. Was the 2nd job on mine, first time they turned out too dark (even though they looked great!!) and my caravan peeps last year on the way to Gatty said they were unsafe.

I'm talking front AND back. If no one can offer a way to do it safely, then I am going to try it with some extra lights and see what I can come up with. The HOD light bulbs are alot stronger than stock and MIGHT be able to work properly with a coat or 2 on tint. IF that won't work, I might be looking at covers for the lights. AND, if THAT won't work, I may change my plans on the color scheme for the truck. Just have to see. I just think the Black truck with tinted lights and only the rim itself, of the wheels being polished (or silver), would give a "Mysterious look" to it.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I gotcha. I kinda like hidden headlights on SOME vehicles, but there are SOME that just aren't gonna lend themselves to that, without major modifications and I don't want to go there.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I painted and tinted the tails on my work car. They look pretty good. The ones on my R/T were professionally done.

After seeing Jerry's painted tails on his R/T (in Intense Blue), I'm considering ordering some from his source and experimenting with my old ones to see how it would look painted and tinted. My biggest concern is sanding them smooth. I can handle the rest.:)

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I painted and tinted the tails on my work car. They look pretty good. The ones on my R/T were professionally done.

After seeing Jerry's painted tails on his R/T (in Intense Blue), I'm considering ordering some from his source and experimenting with my old ones to see how it would look painted and tinted. My biggest concern is sanding them smooth. I can handle the rest.:)
Hey EV, on my Charger, I painted the side and top of each tail light (I bought another pair of rears for this) and all I did was to lightly sand the area I wanted to paint (masked them off beforehand) and painted with light even coats (BTW, I went to OReilly's Auto Parts and ordered my color (Bright Silver) in spray cans (about $6 or 7, if I remember right) and it worked out great.

·
Registered
115 Posts
this is the info i have on tinting light assy's... havent done it but plan to i have VHT night shade at the house and you can also use Rustolium lens tent... here ya go

first use 800grit to sand down the entire light, get rid of bumps, seams, lettering, whatveer.. then smooth it all out with 1000 grit wet sand with a little drop of dishsoap.. clean it really well.. i used mineral spirits.

time to paint..
read the instructions on the can.. light even coats.. take your TIME.. do not rush this let it consume the whole day if you need to.

once you put the amount of coats you watn on.. bake in the oven.. cookie sheet.. middle of the oven.. about 110-150 degrees for about 5-10 minutes.. CHECK OFTEN>> ALL OVENS ARE DIFFERENT SO MAKE SURE YOUR NOT MELTING YOUR LIGHTS.

take them out of the oven.. do not touch the paint and let it cool to room temp.. usually take about 15 20 minutes...i waited until the next day.. but you should be able to wet sand at 1000 -1500 grit with dishsoap to get rid of the orange peel or fish eyes that may have popped up during the panting.. dont be a pussy about this.. you can always recoat if you sand throu the paint to the red lens... and sanding throu baked paint is harder then one might think.. BUT IT IS POSSIBLE so be CAREFUL on rounded or pointed edges and dont be a moron and sand in many different directions.. keep it neat and organized. once you have the black basecoat smooth as you like..(wet it and hold it in the ling to seek out imperfection and spots to address).. clean and dry it with water.. dont use mineral sprits or it can take off the paint. MAKE SURE ITS F_ING DRY!

now bust out the clear coat.. I used a duplicolor variety.... follow the directions on the can.. if you have never cleared anything.. its like painting but..heavier.. you have to be heavy with clear to get an even coat but NOT SO HEAVY that it runs and sags.. its a fine line to walk.. so i suggest PRACTICE... and if you suck at it do light coats.. its just gonna take longer..

a little trick i like to do is hit it with a good coat and then immediately hit it with heat from a heat gun.. it solidifies the coat preventing and runs.. allowing you to get about 2 good coats on quicklly..
once you put the proper amount of coats on. time to bake again..

oven.. middle rack.. cookie sheet. 110 - 150.. 5 - 15+ minutes depending on how many coats WATCH THEM! DONT TAKE A POOP YOU WILL FORGET ND MELT YOUR LIGHTS!

take them out.. let them cool.. and feast your eyes on the black glory of depth and sheen you created..

well your not done.. get the 1500-2000 grit out and smooth out the biubbles orange peel fish eyes that may have come up.. this time BE A PUSSY.. massage it out dont beat it down.. DONT GOUGE AND DONTZ GO IN ALL DIRECTIONS neat and organized will make it look better and easier to polish out.. "polish?"

once your all sanded with 2000 grit.. go to the wal mart and buy some 3M perfect it II polishing compound.. you have a buffer? awesome go to town.. you dont? neither did I.. get that elbow warmed up.. essentially you want to buff the piss out of the clear so that you HEAT it up and it melts into a sheet of slippery smoothness.

clean the excess.. let them air out and harden for a day or so and install..

ENJOY!

**you can sand the black between coats.. but you have to let it dry completely.. if your having a problem area with orange peel and fish eyes then you will NEED to do this but if you clean it properly you should be OK..

hope this helps

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'll post a picture of my tail lights. If I were you i'd go with the covers. Just find out whats legal with em and whats not. I did mine waaaaaay too dark and got in trouble because they were nearly invisible in regular daylight. They looked sweet! I had to end up taking some sand paper to em so you could at least see some of it. Like I said, check out your local laws first because in VA light covers and tinting your tail lights are both illegal. You have to be able to see the light from 250 feet away in clear day light. Hope that hepls a little bit. Good luck!

·
Registered
115 Posts
and so is like 30% tint and darker along with a sunshade that comes down bout 8" under the as1 line and a glare shade that comes up like 8" from the bottom but hey i got 5% all the way around and the shades i just talked about. lol the ticket i got was cheaper than to have em retinted lol

·
Registered
64 Posts
Check your local laws BEFORE tinting. I don't know how the laws are in GA, but I got a $300 fine from the Gestapo PA state police for doing this to my Mustang. G.L. AL

1 - 15 of 15 Posts