Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a '93 Dakota Std Cab 4x4 with the 3.9/automatic trans. I DO have plans to upgrade to a 360 (not sure whether it'll be Old Style Carb Engine/727 or the Later Model EFI Engine Setup though. But, what I'm wondering is IF anyone has tried to pull some hp out of these Lil Engines (since it IS basically a 318 minus 2 cylinders. :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Saw some headers on eBay earlier today for the 3.9 - manufactured by OBX

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Saw some headers on eBay earlier today for the 3.9 - manufactured by OBX

I haven't seen those. I call myself looking too. :rolleyes: Guess I missed it. I did see a turbo setup though. The engine would have to be in real good shape to handle one of those though.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Forced induction always works well as long as the engine is built for it.
Not sure if they 3.9L can handle a lot of boost in stock form.

I like your idea of the 5.9 upgrade! Those engines can make some nice power. How about a 408 stroker???

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Forced induction always works well as long as the engine is built for it.
Not sure if they 3.9L can handle a lot of boost in stock form.

I like your idea of the 5.9 upgrade! Those engines can make some nice power. How about a 408 stroker???

Yeah, I'd really like to build, at least a 5.2, but a 5.9 WOULD be cool. Not sure I could handle the cost of a "408" though. Kinda got several things going and they ALL require money, of which I don't have an abundant supply. :( So, the Lil Dakota is gonna have to take what I can give, as I can give it. At this point, I'm not sure whether to search out a later 360 w/trans and swap it in or try to find a deal on an older 360 and a 727 trans. I KNOW there is more available parts for the older 360, right? But, I''m not sure about mounts and such, to put the older setup in there. I could use some input, in that area. Thing is too , that the '93 has a fully rebuilt trans, transfer & torque converter. So, if I can't use those, I MIGHT find someone to buy those? I'll bet the market isn't too good for that though. So, you can see that I have to work out some details before I can go very far into much reworking of the power train. Any input in this area, would be helpful. ;)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yeah, I'd really like to build, at least a 5.2, but a 5.9 WOULD be cool. Not sure I could handle the cost of a "408" though. Kinda got several things going and they ALL require money, of which I don't have an abundant supply. :( So, the Lil Dakota is gonna have to take what I can give, as I can give it. At this point, I'm not sure whether to search out a later 360 w/trans and swap it in or try to find a deal on an older 360 and a 727 trans. I KNOW there is more available parts for the older 360, right? But, I''m not sure about mounts and such, to put the older setup in there. I could use some input, in that area. Thing is too , that the '93 has a fully rebuilt trans, transfer & torque converter. So, if I can't use those, I MIGHT find someone to buy those? I'll bet the market isn't too good for that though. So, you can see that I have to work out some details before I can go very far into much reworking of the power train. Any input in this area, would be helpful. ;)

If your going to build a v8 then go with a 360. dont build a 5.2. the parts will cost the same. theres no replacement for displacement. remember that!!

·
Registered
133 Posts

Hey you want answers i gotm for ya. here is everything you need to do a v6 to an older v8 swap in your dakota. these are the ones i bought for my truck. they also sell the tranny mount to mount up a 727 tranny. everything fit great. no problems. they sell the oil pans and other parts you need also, but i recommend buying a oil pan for a 1999 dodge dakota R/T. they only cost about $100. i got mine at my dodge dealer. then just order a oil pump pickup tube for the same year. (1999). The same goes for the dipstick. im telln you its a simple swap. dont get yourself all confused about what to do. If you really want a fuel injected motor, i have a holley commander 950 set up that ill sell yo. its never been used. Send me a message if you have any other questions. I have all my build sheets on my motor if you need more info.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey you want answers i gotm for ya. here is everything you need to do a v6 to an older v8 swap in your dakota. these are the ones i bought for my truck. they also sell the tranny mount to mount up a 727 tranny. everything fit great. no problems. they sell the oil pans and other parts you need also, but i recommend buying a oil pan for a 1999 dodge dakota R/T. they only cost about $100. i got mine at my dodge dealer. then just order a oil pump pickup tube for the same year. (1999). The same goes for the dipstick. im telln you its a simple swap. dont get yourself all confused about what to do. If you really want a fuel injected motor, i have a holley commander 950 set up that ill sell yo. its never been used. Send me a message if you have any other questions. I have all my build sheets on my motor if you need more info.
Sure do want to thank you for your input here. Probably end up going with the earlier Carbed 360/727. I'm sure I'll be in touch. Most likely will not start any actual work on this conversion til next Spring or so. BUT, IF I run across a deal on the eng/trans, I can put them aside and be gathering parts needed, in the meantime. Thanks again and I'll let you know how things go, as I can.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Sure do want to thank you for your input here. Probably end up going with the earlier Carbed 360/727. I'm sure I'll be in touch. Most likely will not start any actual work on this conversion til next Spring or so. BUT, IF I run across a deal on the eng/trans, I can put them aside and be gathering parts needed, in the meantime. Thanks again and I'll let you know how things go, as I can.
No problem. I really enjoy stuff like this. I started workn on mine last night a little. figuring out how to run the speedo and stuff. Im gettn it all figured out. hope to have it running soon. but its not driveable yet.:eek:

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 3.9L has
Crowler Roller Rockers
Heads ported
Polished v8 throttle body
JBA Headers
Intake air temp sensor mod
Underdrive pullies
Hughes Engines V6 plenum reinforcement kit
gen III injectors
custom built true cold air intake
Flowmaster exaust
Hi-flow catalytic converter
Intake and exaust ports matched
Cam degreed in time
Double roller timing chain

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My 3.9L has
Crowler Roller Rockers
Heads ported
Polished v8 throttle body
JBA Headers
Intake air temp sensor mod
Underdrive pullies
Hughes Engines V6 plenum reinforcement kit
gen III injectors
custom built true cold air intake
Flowmaster exaust
Hi-flow catalytic converter
Intake and exaust ports matched
Cam degreed in time
Double roller timing chain

Whoa! That's what I was wondering about! Any idea what kind of horse power it is making. How does it run? Have you had any run ins with anyone with it? THIS inquiring mind would like to know. :D Could you post some pictures and where did you get the parts? If you notice, I've got all kinds of questions. :D

·
Registered
44 Posts
When I had my Dak and before the Z had a dakota board on my old Dak board I saw plenty of guys with some serious 3.7/3.9s those lil six shooter dont get enough credit

·
Registered
8 Posts
Has anyone tried to bore the 3.9? It's same stroke and bore as the 5.2!
I recently installed an ACCEL hot coil, with MSD super conductor wires, and a airaid TBS, gets 4mpg better and ALOT more power!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts