Dakota Forumz banner

Anything you can do for a 3.7L magnum?

7K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  volaredon 
#1 ·
I have a 2004 dodge dakota with a 3.7L v6 magnum and I was wondering if there was any upgrades I could get without breaking the bank, I realise turbo are thousands of dollars. just cant spend that much.

#3 ·
Sadly there are no cheap performance upgrades. The reasons are simple. Horsepower is a combination of torque and rpm. Your engine is physically limited to how much torque it can make, based on bore, stroke and number of cylinders. The only variable for a gas engine to make more horsepower is rpm. Your engine has the ability to rev at high rpm but it's not necessarily capable of breathing at higher rpms. If you notice, most high performance parts are related to breathing. Intakes, cam, larger valves, headers, etc. are all related to getting as much air to flow into the cylinders at these higher rpms. The thing is any of these require parts and possible machine work. None of that is cheap.

For what it's worth, you could install a freer flowing exhaust, and a free flowing or cold air intake. But the gains will be very minimal. Don't waste money on chips or gadgets that promise more horsepower. None of that stuff really works.

Ed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.