Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought two new windshield wiper arms and when I put them on they worked for a whole 3 minutes and the part where they thread into the terminals stripped out. Prior to installung a noticed that the threads were very shallow and I doubted their quality but tried em anyway.

I'd like to know whqt brand is good and if I can put the windshield wiper arms of a 95 or 96 dakota onto my 88 because I belive those are the hook type which I perfer.

Thank you for reading.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Well, it's the same wiper drive shafts and transmission from 1987 to 1996, so that side's the same. And the windshield and doors are swappable, so THAT side's the same.

I see no reason why you can't swap them.

As to a good brand - the only current brand is a Dorman, and Dorman sucks planetary masses through stir sticks. Cheap aluminum, not enough ridge on the knurling, and basically just crap.

The OTHER choice is to find a set out of a boneyard. GOOD news! Almost any knurled wiper arm that vintage will fit if it's the right length! I'm looking for an offset pair to get the wiper blades parallel when it turns off, while still able to wipe the windshield completely.

RwP

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just pulled a set from a junk yard yet failed to realized that the person that took em off actually tore them off as the locking plate on the wiper was torn off. I've tried transplanting the dorman lock to the pulled wiper arm with no luck. I'd like to try and screw a lock plate to it but the screws would have to be small and it may weaken over time and come off like a crappy Bosch windshiled wiper I recently purchased did, those Bosch wipers did the same thing on my girlfriend jeep too. Duralast and rain-X will be my choses for now and on. Unfortunately ower flatter windshileds dont like unbracketed wipers.

Do you know if dodge has a site that sells parts like windshield wiper arms and terminals for these trucks? I'd love to get an OEM set for a 95 with the hook type and refresh the terminals, they are getting rough and EVERY dakota in these junk yards around here have their arms and wiper terminals removed.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I presume you mean the drive shafts, the posts, that the wiper arms actually attach to by "wiper terminal"?

I've not found such a place, alas.

If I ever get money ahead, I'll first see about collecting all of the wiper transmissions I can out of the boneyard, and then see about getting a 3D print of the parts that make the drive shaft assembly.

RwP

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I ment the posts, didn't know what they were called because I couldn't find them anywhere but it would have been great to know their name. I'm gonna try some other junk yards.

I only have my driver side wiper right now. I'm gonna try and doctor the locking plate (what ever its called) from the crappy dorman arn to the junk yard arm or attatch the female end of the junk yard arm onto the Dorman arm. I'm gonna first try the plate swap and go from there.

If you find those posts at pullapart they may not even charge you because I'm pretty sure they dont even have those on their priced parts list. I get lucky on some parts that way and can save a couple of bucks.

Wish me luck and thanks for the help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts