Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any tunes out there that make the DBW throttle behave like a cable throttle, and force that throttle plate closed the instant my foot comes off the pedal? The throttle lag from stepping on the pedal, I can drive around. It doesn't take all day rev match a downshift in this truck, but it's damn near impossible to rev match an upshift without losing all momentum waiting for the revs to drop enough to engage the next gear. It drives me up the wall. I like my shifts to be smooth enough that you can barely feel the clutch engagement at all, but I'd get cited for impeding traffic if I actually waited long enough to rev match my 1st-to-2nd and 2nd-to-3rd gear changes. Going into 4, 5, and 6, it isn't nearly as bad, because it doesn't need to drop as many RPM. Also, at higher speeds, deceleration fuel cut-off engages when you take your foot off the accelerator pedal, which drops the RPM considerably faster.

I see that Hypertech offers a programmer for the 3.7L V6, but when I asked them if the included tune did anything about the rev hang, they simply responded with the feature list that was already on their web site, which does not tell me anything about how the tune adjusts throttle response.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Are there any tunes out there that make the DBW throttle behave like a cable throttle, and force that throttle plate closed the instant my foot comes off the pedal? The throttle lag from stepping on the pedal, I can drive around. It doesn't take all day rev match a downshift in this truck, but it's damn near impossible to rev match an upshift without losing all momentum waiting for the revs to drop enough to engage the next gear. It drives me up the wall. I like my shifts to be smooth enough that you can barely feel the clutch engagement at all, but I'd get cited for impeding traffic if I actually waited long enough to rev match my 1st-to-2nd and 2nd-to-3rd gear changes. Going into 4, 5, and 6, it isn't nearly as bad, because it doesn't need to drop as many RPM. Also, at higher speeds, deceleration fuel cut-off engages when you take your foot off the accelerator pedal, which drops the RPM considerably faster.

I see that Hypertech offers a programmer for the 3.7L V6, but when I asked them if the included tune did anything about the rev hang, they simply responded with the feature list that was already on their web site, which does not tell me anything about how the tune adjusts throttle response.
Does it shift hard when you keep your fit on the gas and don’t let up between 1st & 2nd? We’re always letting up on the gas right before the shift, just to try to keep this darn hard shift away.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does it shift hard when you keep your fit on the gas and don’t let up between 1st & 2nd? We’re always letting up on the gas right before the shift, just to try to keep this darn hard shift away.
It's a manual, so the shifting itself is a smooth as I make it. The problem is that the stupid computer keeps the throttle plate open even after I take my foot of the gas pedal, which doesn't allow the engine revs to slow down to what they need to be for the next gear unless you wait an eternity. You try properly rev matching the 1-2 shift in this truck in Boston area traffic and you'll have even the 18-wheeler drivers honking at you for going too slow. Try to wait it out when going up hill, and gravity will bring you to a stop before the RPM drop enough to engage second gear.

I know it's computer induced, because there are a couple of steep hills where I go down them at 55 miles per hour and shift down to 4th gear for engine braking to avoid overheating the brakes. When I get to the foot of the hill and step on the clutch to shift back up, the engine RPM drop so quickly back to idle that I often have to blip the throttle to rev it up a little to be able to engage the clutch smoothly. So there is absolutely nothing that mechanically prevents the RPM from dropping; it has to be in the software.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts