Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I'm gonna change the fluid and filter in my 05 dak this weekend. But I need to know how much fluid I need (pan drop) and whether or not it has two filters and if it dose has two what's the number for the round one?
I think it has the 42rle or something like that in it. If that doesn't sound right it has the 3.7l.
I've never messed with a auto tranny before so any tips will be appreciated

·
Registered
3 Posts
There is lots of info out there on this. Capacities are available in owners manual. You can download these if you do not have one.
Make sure to use atf+4 fluid. And you can pump out the fluid by removing the return line from the trans cooler and attaching a hose to feed into a bucket.
Dropping the pan will only remove a few quarts. Pumping it out with the return line will change all the fluid.m

Google is your friend. I have not done this yet on my Dakota but have on other vehicles.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok I did it last weekend could only do the pan drop because there was only 4 quarts of atf+4 left in my whole town, I went to 7 different stores...

With the pan drop and filter change it took 4 1/2 quarts to get it on the dip stick its in the safe range but not full but thats all the fluid I had. 1 filter btw. Turns out it didnt have a gasket on it at all. But it dose now

Also for anyone in the future there 12mm bolts and the front left one needs thread sealant

1 - 3 of 3 Posts