Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys Just picked up a 91 318 dakota, and until just now i didnt realize it was the la motor and im a little disapointed because i was expecting the truck to have some get up and go considering it has a mini spool shift kit and a stall converter...... Well its slow as death compared to my other dakota's...... One was a 94 with the 3.9 magnum the other was a 93 4x4 ext cab with the 318 magnum and it feels NOTHING LIKE THE 93 EXT. It feels almost slower than the 3.9, SO my question is whats the difference and if soo how hard is it to magnum the la motor a magnum ???

·
Registered
242 Posts
with the upgrades you mentioned the "grab in the pants" are prolly in the higher RPM's the stall converter is going to feel really funny but gives the engine time to rev up, try a "power brake launch" be careful cause its gonna walk on you with that spool the rear is going to kick out if it don't hook.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ill go try it but that "walk" you speak of isnt something that scares me considering i have a 88 200sx with a ka-t swapped making more power than the 318 lol , and in a lighter car. I drift as a hobby so when the ass end kicks out i dont pansy out lol , just counter steer and keep going.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And the tires i have on the back are 275/60/15's they are WAYYYYY to big for the truck like the trucks is quick and powerful for the size but 275/60's are un-needed by far overkill on this truck. I just picked it up the other day soo im still trying to figure out how it needs to be driven.

·
Registered
242 Posts
the "lincoln locker" has a bad rap, but it works for a while. Hope you get the dak figured out the 318 should have plenty of power if not, project time, power adders!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
See alot of guys who have trucks dont understand the import diff's can take a damn beating. THe diff in my car is a r200 long nose. Its not like a truck where its like glass i had a 240 that had a welded diff the previous owner welded it before me and Daily drove it for 3 years before me. The can take a beating.

Back to the mopar! Haha , Well tomorrow Im putting matching shoes around it instead of the old muscle car setup on it now. Along with headers and tonight im going to start reading up on power adders. Im just curious how well the 318 in my truck responds to mods. Im new to screwing with mopars as Im only 19 and had 2 dakotas my first year of having my license after that i had all imports.

LET ME KNOW the best mods for this motor, or if its just worth swapping in a magnum 318 or magnum 360.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts