Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone im brand new to this forum but i hope i have come to the right place.

Me and my father are currently having problems with his dakota. He has been the one driving it lately and the other day he calls me and says his truck started running rough. he was on his way home from work and says it was idling rough and said i stalled and started again and was able to get it home safely and said later that night he tried starting it again and it barley started and barley kept running head lights dimming and what not when i sounded like it was a bout to die. This is what he tells me happened before i came over and looked at it. My dad dosent know a whole lot about vehicles i know i what to do or fix if im able to know what needs to fixed. Anyways i went over and looked at it and same issues as he explained it barley started and barley stayed running and the CEL was flashing. i found that i was able to to the ignition thing that posts the PXXXX codes so i did it and we got a P0300 witch i think is a misfire right but it dosent know what cylinder. so i buddy told me well check and find which one it is. and he explains to me start the truck and pull the caps off of the spark plugs one at a time and if nothing happens on the cylinder you pull that should be the one that isnt firing. so we did this and he started the truck and i pulled the plug on clyinder 4 and nothing happend so i thought well excellent this is the problem cylinder. i put the plug back on and thought i would just check the other ones so pulled plug 6 and nothing happend as well so i got confused and shut off the truck and then check the key codes again and got a p0300 p0301 p2311 p2317. funny thing is i didnt pull that plug on cylinder 1 and now it says thats the one thats misfiring. So after i got all these codes i started it and his has a very hard time starting and will only stay started for like 5 seconds MAX and thers kind of a dirty sounding knock. so now im stuck and dont know what to do i hope i can get help from some one.i would like to do this fix myself because i do not want to pay to get it done and it will be a good learning experience.

any help will be very appreciated.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum, glad to have you join us! Sorry to hear about your problem and sounds like you've already done what I would have thought to try, but hang in there, our resident tech guru should be along shortly to shed some light on this for you, but good luck and be sure to keep us posted! In the meantime, I hope you enjoy the site! :)

- Cajun

·
Banned
2,418 Posts
Hello and welcome!

Glad to have you here, I hope you enjoy the board! I can't help you either but I know you will get some answers!

·
Registered
250 Posts
P0300 is the code for amultiple cylinder misfire. The P2311 and P2317 are insufficient coil ionization for the cylinders you pulled the coils off of. I'd start with checking the condition of the plugs in the cylinders. If they're ok, grab a spark tester and verify each coil is firing. If they're firing correctly, you should run a compression test between the #4 and #6 cylinders to check for a blown head gasket or perhaps sticking valves that caused a cam follower to become dislodged. You'll need to pull the passenger side valve cover to verify this. A fuel problem is possible but probably the least likely to be the cause.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok ill pull the plugs and take a look at em and see if there getting spark as well. then if these checkout good ill run a compression test on them and see whats up. could a camshaft position sensor cause this issue i have no idead but im just wondering if it could be that.
thanks for the help i will let you all know how things go after i check it out.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Welcome!! hope you get the problem fixed!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks to everyone for the welcomes and the help.
hey we checked for spark but only used coil 4 to test them for spark because it was the easiest to take off. the fuel pump pressurizes properly. so now tomorrow we are going to check each of the coil packs and see if they are working does anyone know what should be removed to make this a easy process as it is cramped as hell in the engine compartment. and there is no blown head gasket.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Welcome to the DakotaForumZ!!! Randy is the man with those diagnoses.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Welcome from Michigan!

I would also make sure your battery connection is good [no corrosion] and very tight. That will cause the symptoms you describe, except the CELs. That's not your problem at this point, but it will cause the the first half of your problems.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
oh ok well ill check it out because the battery does have corrosion on it and we were told that battery was low on cold cranking amps and we should get a new one. i gotta spare i can throw in there and clean the clamps thoroughly and see what happens. i do know that battery has plenty of power cuz it cranks fine and dosent slow at all it just wont kick over.
thanks for all the tips ill keep you guys posted on what happens.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts