Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the type of wheels I'm wanting for my '92 project,would be easier AND cheaper found, in a 5 lug wheel and wasn't sure if Adapters would be the way to go OR if there was another Mopar that had parts that could be used for the conversion. Right off, this is the type of wheel I had in mind (a classic design). Although, I haven't locked in my choice just yet (I want the wheel in black, except for the rim of the wheel and I want the rim polished)

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, since I haven't gotten any input on this. I found out that the '91 and up, Dakotas all used the same 6 bolt pattern, and that all of the Durangos that had 6 bolt wheels, also used the same pattern. This has helped to give me a wider range of wheels to choose from for my '92. I don't want to go the expense of redrilling to get a 5 bolt pattern, if I can help it. I'd rather swap drums and rotors, if there are some that WOULD swapout.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How about the pre-91 Daks, they're 5 lug.

Well That would take care of the front end. Since I'm going with V8 power, I will be looking to upgrade the rear end, when I can. I need the bolt pattern to be the same on front and rear. I HAVE noticed lately on ebay, that there are Durango wheels that had 5 bolt pattern. Anybody know the specific models that had 5 bolt wheels (like maybe the 2whl dr had 5 bolt and the 4 whl dr had 6 bolt?). I don't know these things yet and am just guessing. So, I am looking for any input on this, that I can get and I appreciate any and ALL input to, like what I got this time.

Any info that comes out, on this project that I am doing, will most likely help others along the way. After all, Modding a truck OR a car, is "Highly Contagious". :D

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BTW Blackdak, I see that you are in Stuttgart, Arkansas. Like to say hello to a fellow Arkansan, as I am on the other side of the state in Greenwood (born and raised in the Little Rock area).

·
Registered
63 Posts
My bro has an 89 model. It has 5 lugs and is an 8 1/4. As far as I know all Daks and Durangos from 92 up are 6 lug. I did see a 6 lug to 5 lug adapter on Ebay for $100, I think. I have a wrecked 92 LE Club Cab with a 5.2, I fell asleep and hit a tree. Thats bad I had to Google where Greenwood is. If I can help just let me know.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My bro has an 89 model. It has 5 lugs and is an 8 1/4. As far as I know all Daks and Durangos from 92 up are 6 lug. I did see a 6 lug to 5 lug adapter on Ebay for $100, I think. I have a wrecked 92 LE Club Cab with a 5.2, I fell asleep and hit a tree. Thats bad I had to Google where Greenwood is. If I can help just let me know.
I WOULD like to change to 5 lug, if it's not too costly. It will give me a better selection of wheels to use. I;m just not certain exactly how I'll change it over just yet. It HAS been mentioned about getting the rotors and redrilled and the axles (if I didn't get a rear axle that already was a 5 bolt. Whoa! Too bad about the '92 Club Cab. The one I'm building is a '92 std cab, but I also had gotten a '92 Club Cab LE for a fair price that is drivable, but need as some fixing up as well. Don't feel bad about not knowing where Greenwood is, I am just as bad about some of the other places in Arkansas too. I usually go to Map Quest to figure out where someplace is. We moved out in this area back in Dec of '72 and been in this area ever since. I appreciate the offer of help and the same goes here. I get down to Little Rock now and then and have, on occasion, been out in your area, while on the way to Memphis. At the very latest, I'll be going to the Barber Motorcycle Museum (Alabama) this coming Oct. for an annual event they have every year.

·
Registered
8 Posts
As far as i know, durangos were all 6 lug until 04 and they were 4 wheel disc with 5 lugs since then. i think newer dakotas are 5 lug but i dont know when they switched over it may have been 03-04 not sure. i have a 93 and im trying to do the same thing i want to switch to 5 lug because i cant find wheels that i want with the oddball 6 lug pattern. i too am going for a V8 eventually itll have a 360 under the hood so whatever you find out id like to know how things go with it to have an idea of what im getting in to when the time comes

·
Registered
14 Posts
Durango's switched to five lug after the big body switch the Dakotas changed when the fourth gen came out, my suggestion would be finding a 4th gen in a scrap yard and pulling everything off that. I wouldnt go with the adapter as they bump out the tires (if thats what your going for great, if not your screwed) and they wouldn't do great for alignment and all that other crap.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I have a 97 Dakota std cab sport an I'm wanting to go to 5 lug . I was looking at ordering parts guess no one see any money in that .I use to live in Mtn home Ar

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hi I have a 97 Dakota std cab sport an I'm wanting to go to 5 lug . I was looking at ordering parts guess no one see any money in that .I use to live in Mtn home Ar
You can get 1.5 or 2 inch conversion spacers on eBay, bout $100 for a set of 2.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts