Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 95 dakota salt, the blower motor doesn't work, I checked the connection at the resister had no power checked fuse, fuse is good, checked the terminals for blower fuse and no power there , I'm at zero loss on this I've never seen no power in fuse box before

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Splice under the battery tray - ignition switch - a broken wire.

That's the sequence I'd check them in, anyway.

RwP

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Hee! THAT'S always a pain, when the tester's broken!

So. One thing to keep in mind is that the resistor is on the ground return for the blower motor. It's 12V --> Fuse --> Ignition Switch --> Fuse --> Blower Motor --> Resistor --> Speed Control Switch --> Ground.

So if you're using a test light, it might not light up. I'd check the resistor first - it's the most common failure. Cheap, too, might be worth spending $10 to just replace it.

RwP

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ignition switch

Let me ask u this then right quick, while I was performing the teat with a good test light this time, I went to cut off the truck this time the starter kept cranking in fact was running the whole time engine was running we didn't know till we smelt burning and saw smoke , I established I need an ignition switch , would this cause the blower issue?

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Heh.

It easily could.

I'd do the ignition switch first, and then worry about the blower motor, since it's switched through the (known to be failing) ignition switch.

RockAuto lists them for $25 and down ... http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?carcode=1087646&parttype=4700

HOWEVER - It appears that the ignition lock cylinder and the ignition switch are together from this listing. I'd be checking the factory service manual first (again, I've seen them for as low as $7.44 on Ebay for a downloadable PDF) on it before I bought one.

But yes, if the ignition switch is failing, several items may or may not run. Fix that first ... then let's worry about the blower motor.

I'll add that blower motor resistor failure is often enough that if you do order the switch from RockAuto, I'd recommend that you go ahead and get the resistor - again, it's between $3.71 and 6.79 the day I type this.

Now. It's also possible (because my Cougar did this!) that the solenoid on the starter hung, which kept the starter engaged. I'd get the starter checked FIRST - ideally by a generator / alternator / starter rebuild ship (and rebuilt if there's any question!) THEN worry about the ignition switch.

RwP

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
starter solinoid

Only problem I have with the starter solenoid suggestion is it was cranking with key out

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Yes.

Solenoid hung == keeps making the connection between the battery cable and the starter motor.

Since on these motors the starter relay is part of the solenoid assembly.

That's what happened to my Cougar anyway. Which uses the starter mounted solenoid to switch power to the starter motor, but also has a high mount starter relay that switches power to the solenoid's activation contact. Yah, I go "Bwhuh?" at that design also ... In my case, it was the starter mounted solenoid that stuck.

May not be a bad idea to chase the wiring for it through the FSM, which you should have if you're working on your truck yourself.

RwP

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
relay

I pulled the relay to keep it from crankin when I attach battery, its a basic 4 or5 pole relay under hood is that the part u r referring to,

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Nope, that would most likely be the ASD relay, not the starter solenoid.

Which is on the starter.

Edit: Here's a graphic of what I was talking about - notice how the solenoid engages the starter gear? It also makes the contact to supply power to the starter motor windings.

I had another thought - if the starter hangs because it's loose (hangs on the torque converter or flywheel), it'll keep running since the action will keep the solenoid engaged.

But I'd check the starter FIRST before I went to the pain of swapping the ignition switch.

Especially if the switch went back to turn on the radio et al - that's a mechanical action, and the contacts for the starter should have been mechanically clear at that time.

RwP

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i is a tad lost lol

Here's my number if u can text or call maybe tomorrow at some point so I can get a clear description to u and from you

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
First suggestion: Don't EVER post your phone number on a public forum, unless you want all the scammers to be calling you.

What are you trying to describe to me? That loses me.

And what do you want described to you? The starter solenoid? I included a motion graphic. Easy to find, follow the battery cable down to the starter and there it is.

RwP

1 - 12 of 12 Posts