Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We purchased 2001 4 x 4 sport last fall with 184km. Good shape, nice truck. Had sudden heating problem this spring, thermostat died. Replaced thermostat but still heated until I realized that air had to be purged by opening plug at top hose housing and adding antifreeze until all air was pushed out. Good now.

We get only about 18 mpg Canadian gallons. Want to investigate use of performance chips to improve mileage. Any suggestions. Can use of some chips damage engine or tranny.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Welcome to the Z Family from Southern Georgia!
Glad you decided to join us.

From what I've read, most folks advocate using a tuner instead of a chip. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Welcome!! and yeah i agree with Ev, most chips just try to trick the computer into thinking a different way, with a tuner you are actually reprogramming it

with that said, i have a tuner and i tried the "fuel saving" tune and saw only about .5-1 mpg better, if that, not a big improvement. there are other things you can do to increase fuel economy: lay off the gas pedal, use full synthetic oils, change air filter, proper inflation of tires, etc

let us know

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for suggestion regarding use of tuners rather than chips to improve mileage. Anyone else have ideas to improve mileage on 4.7 liter Dakota?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts