Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know why I have super bad break dust on my front tires the pads are still good but they sqeek

Help one ??

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
possibly you're heavy on the brake haha. pretty much depends on the quality of the pads you use. you can get dustless pads now. ive heard they actually work but i personally never have. i should tho cause me front wheels are covered in dust as well. as long as they are wearing even itll be fine. as for the squeal. sometimes its from the dust, or the baking plate on the brake pads become slightly loose and that "squeal" is actually the bake plate vibrating at a high rate of speed. they have a glue that is made to put on the plate when you install new pads.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Why do you have bad brake dust? Well thats easy to explain. Every time you use the brakes the pads are pushed onto the rotors and as a byproduct of friction, dust from the pads is released. Most cars and trucks these days have very open rims (Another words, you can usually see the rotors thru the rims) So this dust can settle all over the rims and turn them black. This isn't as much of a problem with drum brakes or rims that are closed up more. You can reduce the "dusting" a small amount, but you can't eliminate it totally.

At one time I recall seeing some sort of dust shield for this sort of problem, many years ago. I'm inclined to believe you may still find something like this on Ebay or JC Whitney.

If the finish on the rims is still in great shape, you can wax the rims, or use a polymer product like "Liquid Glass" to seal the surface. The Liquid Glass is good enough that nothing sticks to whatever it's applied to, and all you need to do is just hose off the rims and they shine up again. But the finish on the rims has to be in good shape. If you have aluminum rims which had been stripped of the finish, or you have bare aluminum rims, this product doesn't work as well. There are some products designed to wash rims of brake dust. Which works best, I couldn't tell ya

Ed

1 - 3 of 3 Posts