Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 dodge dakota. New pads rotors and calipers. Flushed the whole system front and rear. Air got into system for sure.
Pedal drops to floor. Will build pressure if you pump it but loses it as soon as you stop pumpjng.

Do I need to do something with the abs system??

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm in the same situation on my 99 R/T. Except you have a better brake system. I was originally changing my master cylinder, it was leaking internally. I went ahead and changed the booster and master cylinder. Bench bled it once, reservoir was leaking, had to swap reservoirs, and bench bleed it again. I then started at the rear, got good pedal pressure. Never could get the fronts to bleed out. I had problems with bleeder screws sealing and banjo bolt washers. So I swapped the calipers out. Still can't get the air out in the front, but the rear is good. I've blown through like 6 quart bottles of brake fluid. Stripped out one of the caliper mount holes and still can't even move it. Mine has only rear ABS. Didn't have to do anything to it the last time I changed calipers. I've given up on trying to get the air out now. I'm having the mechanic pick it up, check for leaks, fix the stripped caliper mount, and bleed the air. Hopefully I will be able to upgrade to the 03-04 front brake system once I get all the parts.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Just a thought -- I did it years ago. Make sure you have the correct calipers on the correct side of the vehicle. If you do, the bleeder screws will be at the top of the cylinder. If the bleeder is not at the top, you'll never get all the air out.
:eek:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yeah they are. I checked it again today. It has some brake pedal and I don't see the banjo bolt washers leaking anymore. That was a pain. The new washers wouldn't seal and I had to reuse the old ones. Mechanic is suppose to pick it up tomorrow and fix the stripped the caliper bolt, check for other brake leaks, and bleed it. Hopefully that will be the last stripped caliper mount bolt I have on this 99. I'm gathering parts for the 03-04 front brake swap. I hadn't got any replies on questions about what I need on any of the forums I've tried about the 03-04 swap. So I've been reading through the old threads. It looks like the 03-04 Durango/Dakota spindles will swap over. Then I just need 03 Dakota calipers, brackets, rotors, and hoses. The calipers are so much more expensive so I haven't been able to order them. Don't know the best rotor to use. Was going with Powerstop but they only come with a 30 day warranty. I hope it's a direct bolt on deal. I verified the brake hoses from an 03 Dakota bolted right up to the 99 Dakota that was in the junkyard today, minus the different caliper. But they were identical to that point. Hope I'm not just wasting money.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Rotor brand is less important than how well it is mounted. Make sure it is on a clean hub, and if possible check the rotor face with a dial indicator. It should wobble less than .001" ideally, at most .003". Pull it off and rotate it on the lugs and look for grit or any irregularities on the hub or rotor making it wobble.

More than .003" and you will get that warped rotor feeling of shudder once it breaks in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts