Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I went outside to drive to the store and noticed the brake pedal sank almost clear to the floor before there was actually any pressure. I've always had to push the pedal further than more modern vehicles but this is much worse. It still stops but I'm afraid if it gets any worse I won't have any brakes at all. I checked the reservoir and theres plenty of brake fluid in it. Any ideas?

·
Registered
830 Posts
Today I went outside to drive to the store and noticed the brake pedal sank almost clear to the floor before there was actually any pressure. I've always had to push the pedal further than more modern vehicles but this is much worse. It still stops but I'm afraid if it gets any worse I won't have any brakes at all. I checked the reservoir and theres plenty of brake fluid in it. Any ideas?
If it's not a pinhole leak in a brake line, it could be the master cylinder.
I had the same problem until I changed the brake lines (one split on me)
and the master cylinder. The low brake pedal had been there long before the
brake line split. If it sat overnight, the pedal would sometimes almost go to
the floor until I pumped it ad couple of times, then it would get hard and
and I had brakes to drive. Very annoying symptom, but changing the
master cylinder fixed it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I pumped the brake for a little while with the motor idling but the pedal never got any harder. Maybe this is a different issue? I don't think theres a leak anywhere. I haven't seen any fluid on the ground and it doesn't look like the fluid level has decreased any in the reservoir. I don't know a whole lot about brakes but replacing lines and the master cylinder sounds like it would be expensive.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Low Brake Pedal

Good evening,just had the same issue with my 1988,3.9,auto,2wd.....Believe it or not,I checked all lines for leaks,figured probally the master cylinder,it was simply the rear shoes needed to be adjusted,very low pedal almost to floor and the brake light in the dash came on also,just went in reverse about ten times and hit the brakes hard and now light off and pedal firm and about two thirds to the top.Unreal fix,so happy!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts