Dakota Forumz banner

bushings all around!

9K views 23 replies 6 participants last post by  EvBaxter 
#1 ·
so after i replaced my stabilizer end links and bar bushings i got a better look at all the other ones down there (control arm, leaf springs, etc) and was thinking they are in pretty bad shape. i know OEM stuff is not the best and doesnt usually last too long, but my truck only has 75k miles on it. whats normal for these things? does everyone need to replace bushings after only 75k miles? was my truck rode hard and put away wet by its first owner?

#2 ·
Jerry, did you use the OEM endlinks and sway bar bushings? I was thinking of doing the same; I noticed while doing the brakes. My truck was treated similarly apparently.

#3 ·
While I don't know what a good mileage is, as far as original bushings lasting, seems like that might be average. Personally, I'm looking at going at least 1 step better than stock bushings (hopefully for longevity). Just MY thoughts on this. ;)

#4 ·
Ev - not sure, i got Moog bushings and end links, so dont know if those qualify as OEM or a step up, but they seem to be pretty good. will go with Moog for the rest of them

Bill - thanks for your input as well, right now i just want the ride to be a bit better, i know with the R/T you give up a bit of comfort for better handling, but it seems like it could handle a lot better than it does

#5 ·
Jerry, did you swap out the rest of your bushings yet? I'm about to pull the trigger on a polyurethane kit from Energy Suspension. I plan to install myself, but beyond sways, endlinks, and leaf springs, I've not done the rest on my own. Any thoughts or advice?

I should just get the kit and head up to Carolina one weekend and we do both trucks.:)

#6 ·
heck yeah man, come on up! LOL i dont have a big garage so maybe be better if i came down there, but gas prices are a real bummer for a trip that far, you know

i havent done any work the on the rest of my bushings yet, but i need to, it sounds bad and rides horribly, probably need ball joints

#7 ·
heck yeah man, come on up! LOL i dont have a big garage so maybe be better if i came down there, but gas prices are a real bummer for a trip that far, you know

i havent done any work the on the rest of my bushings yet, but i need to, it sounds bad and rides horribly, probably need ball joints
Yeah, gas is an issue for sure.:(

Jerry, I think we bought twin trucks.:) I had the ball joints replaced when I bought my tires. The tie rods are good, but they had to replace an upper control arm bushing because it fell apart when they were swapping out the ball joint; I suspect the others are in bad need of replacement. My truck rides pretty good but there's still some play that I think new bushings and shocks will tighten up in the front end. I looked over the sway bar and end links when I fixed the front brakes and they definitely need replacing.

My "garage" is a storage unit where my Charger usually sleeps; I live in an apartment. I suspect your garage is probably bigger than mine but I've installed front and rear sways on Chargers in it, so I manage even though it is tight. Plus, if I get up early, I can use the car wash area (that's where my new exhaust photos were taken). :)

#15 ·

careful with the CAPS, it means you're yelling :)

Moog or Energy Suspension. check rockauto.com for prices. i dont think they have ES brand, but they have others (Moog, Raybestos, Mevotech)

#18 ·
I just ordered Energy front sway bar -> control arm bushings and should have them in soon. Can you post the end link bushings you were referring to? Thank you!
I believe the front sway bushing kit comes with the end link bushings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.