Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having a base truck, mine currently has a limited slip diff and I want a locker. I breifly asked the service guy at the dealer after I had it in for some warranty work and he told me he had no idea. Now this of course was the Mitsu guy so I figured if it could be done I should probably take it to a Dodge dealer. But I'm not sure if it could be done since the new ones are "electronic locking"? I'm not really sure what that means... like is it controlled by the ECU? Has anyone attempted this before or know if it could be done?

·
Aww Peg!
2,957 Posts
I installed a locker unit from Powertrax in the 2000 I had. Worked well, only drawback was the clunk when it unlocked on turns.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the electric ones are locked with a switch when you need it unlock it when you don'tit remains "open"
oh... huh. I always thought they went through some sort of ECU based control sort of like ABS. So then the factory locker could be installed, just with a toggle switch or the like installed in line with it somewhere in the cab...?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Most of the electric locking diffs run from an electric source that you or the shop who does the work wires in. It is engaged by a small switch which you mount in the cab so you can "lock" and "unlock" the diff. It also depends on your rearend too. If you have a Dana 33, you will need to find out if it has "C" clips or not, The Dana 44 is pretty straight forward. Done a few in some trucks and Jeeps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts