Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have what looks like a fairly new water pump off my 3.9 V6 core engine. I have looked at the pump and it appears the pump pulls coolant from the rad and the by pass just next to the thermostat and outlet. If someone can explain or has a link to a good article share. Steve

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll be sure to be on the look out for one Ralph. Thanks for the link it confirms what I was thinking. I kind of wonder what percentage of uncooled water circulates once the thermostat opens. Clearly the system works and I'd think a fresh cooling system works really well. Steve

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I'll be sure to be on the look out for one Ralph. Thanks for the link it confirms what I was thinking. I kind of wonder what percentage of uncooled water circulates once the thermostat opens. Clearly the system works and I'd think a fresh cooling system works really well. Steve
If nothing else, hit up Bishko Books ( Bishko Books, Repair Manuals, Owners Manuals, Parts Books & Sales Brochures (autobooksbishko.com) ) and order the disc version there.

For the oiling system ...

Again, from the 1996 FSM (plumbing should still be the same), see the attached PDF.

RwP

Attachments

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Having purchased my complete cooling system maybe a year ago I have unpacked the parts as required. Having a little work bench space I opened the radiator box. To my surprise it's a 1.5 inch thick unit. The one I removed ( and still weeps mud on the floor ) is a 1 inch thick. I opened the electric fan which is 15 inches and bolts to the radiator 1/2 inch from matrix. The other half of the AC system bolts to the other side of the radiator. In the two and a half years I have owned the truck the electric fan has not worked. I have been told the fan clutch does not or did not work correctly. Having installed a new water pump, fan clutch and all cooling system parts I feel many of my running issues will be resolved.

It has been mentioned several times that the engine driven cooling fan can be removed reducing power loss. If I get several dyno pulls I may remove the clutch fan to see. Steve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts