Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have a Dakota Quad Cab 2003 with 4.7 L engine. Great truck!! Probably the most servicable vehicle I've ever owned. She has 220,000 miles, never any problem with transmission or other problems other than normal maintenance. I'm religious about regular maintenance and get things fixed as needed. Now, my current issue is: Sometimes the truck sits in the driveway, unused, for a couple months at a time. It's not my daily driver. Recently, after sitting unused for an extended time, I have difficulty shifting from Park to drive after starting (Auto tranny). It just locks up and won't shift out of Park. I have been able to shift it after jiggling the shifter for several minutes, but it's more than a bit disconcerting. I'm afraid one of these times I'll have to call a tow truck. Has anybody out there had this problem. Oh, yeah, while I'm at it, my driver's seat recliner ratcheting mechanism has given up the ghost. Beyond a certain point it just won't lock into position. I would guess the fix is to replace the seat, but does anyone out there have a quick fix? Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Let us know what you find.
Remember to first disconnect the cable at the transmission and see if you can manually shift the link. If so check the cable and shifter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2001 did this last summer. Its in the ignition column at the ignition switch. The rubber boot at the shift column covers a slide mechanism near the ignition switch. Stretch the rubber boot out and spray some lube on the slide mechanism. There are Youtube videos for this issue. Best Regards, Burt

·
Registered
23 Posts
If that doesn’t do it press emergency brake and then disconnect the shifter cable at transmission. Now see if the shifter moves. If so your problem is the shifter detent inside the transmission. Check YouTube videos.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts