Dakota Forumz banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, i'm not really new, but i need a quick response to my problem. i own a 1987 dodge dakota 2.2L 4 cyl engine, with a 6520 Holley carburetor. i just cleaned the carburetor and did a rebuild. i tried starting my truck last night, (something to know is that when i put the key into the ignition and turn it on, the fuel pump turns on because i have an electrical fuel pump, not mechanical.) and it starts up, and i see a lot of smoke, (partly happening because i was spacing it and forgot to stop cranking the engine for a couple of seconds) and turned it off. i walk over and see the non-choke barrel of the carb filled halfway with gasoline. this still happens when i only turn the key to the on position without cranking it. the return line is not the problem, it shouldn't be the seals, and the float is balanced.

i have gotten a reccomendation from my teacher as i am still a high school student and he told me to get a pressure regulator for the fuel lines. i would like some other opinions and so i was wondering what could be causing this and how i could fix it.

·
Registered
830 Posts
hi, i'm not really new, but i need a quick response to my problem. i own a 1987 dodge dakota 2.2L 4 cyl engine, with a 6520 Holley carburetor. i just cleaned the carburetor and did a rebuild.
6520 is 2bbl carb. Did you take the carb apart and pull off the float and
needle?

i tried starting my truck last night, (something to know is that when i put the key into the ignition and turn it on, the fuel pump turns on because i have an electrical fuel pump, not mechanical.) and it starts up, and i see a lot of smoke, (partly happening because i was spacing it and forgot to stop cranking the engine for a couple of seconds) and turned it off.
Lots of smoke because it's flooding the intake manifold and the cylinders.
in a super rich fuel mixture.

i walk over and see the non-choke barrel of the carb filled halfway with gasoline. this still happens when i only turn the key to the on position without cranking it. the return line is not the problem, it shouldn't be the seals, and the float is balanced.
If you used a rebuild kit, did you get the right one for this carb?
If you didn't use a rebuild kit and tried to reuse the same
already compressed float bowl gasket, it will leak!

Also, when you took the carb float apart, did you check the float level height with the float needle in place, to see if it was within the correct float level setting for the 6520? Sounds like the float may not be at the correct level setting.

i have gotten a reccomendation from my teacher as i am still a high school student and he told me to get a pressure regulator for the fuel lines. i would like some other opinions and so i was wondering what could be causing this and how i could fix it.
Your teacher is correct in suggesting a fuel pressure regulator for your carburetor engine.

However, IF it worked with the carb BEFORE you overhauled it, then probably fuel pump pressure *may* lower on the list of the reasons for it flooding, although you SHOULD NOT be running a carb with a FLOAT/NEEDLE ...at Fuel injection rail pressures (typically 35-45psi).

A carb with a float and needle needs to operate at lower fuel line pressures, typically 6-8 psi in order for the float to overcome the fuel pressure ,and shut off fuel flow until the fuel level drops in the bowl.

The float drops through with gravity, as the fuel in the bowl is gets
used by the main jet(s) in the carb. That removes some pressure at the float needle tip/seat which normally shuts off the fuel flow.

The fuel starts to flow again until the float comes up to the preset point where it exerts enough pressure on the float needle to shut off fuel flow..this works when the engine is running, it becomes an automatic "fuel regulator" (of sorts)..but it certainly can't overcome high fuel line pressures.

If the fuel pump pressure is too high, the fuel pressure just overcomes the float needle and seat and the fuel just keeps coming in as long as the fuel pump is running.

check out this link, especially the paragraph on Float level adjustment
and the need for a fuel pressure regulator, if the fuel pressure is too high.
http://www.jegs.com/s/tech-articles...ng.html&title=Carburetor+-+Fuel+System+Tuning

1 - 2 of 2 Posts