Dakota Forumz banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to remove the cat from my 88 dodge Dakota 3.9L V6. As it was glowing orange in the center. But I have an air pump. I’m am wanting to straight pipe it. Can I drill a hole in the new exhaust and weld the smog pump pipe into it? I live in NC. So no emissions test on 96 and older.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
If you've removed the cat, you can also pull the A.I.R. pump and plug the two holes in the intake with small plates.

Or just have it dump into the air.

It's only there to supply extra air to the original catalytic converter, due to the inefficiencies of the original cats. (Newer ones are better and newer designs don't need the extra air.)

I'd re-install the cat if I were you. But before you do that, I'd fix the oil burning that I bet your 1988 is doing.

RwP

·
Aww Peg!
2,946 Posts
I had to remove the cat from my 88 dodge Dakota 3.9L V6. As it was glowing orange in the center. But I have an air pump. I’m am wanting to straight pipe it. Can I drill a hole in the new exhaust and weld the smog pump pipe into it? I live in NC. So no emissions test on 96 and older.
You'll be OK as long as they don't look for the converter under the vehicle. If they see it gone they will most likely fail the inspection (can't remove emissions pieces/parts). My son had a 86 Conquest that they said did not have a cat, had to point it out to them but this was at an infamous Jiffy Lube.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It’s running rich. So I’ve got to fix that. As I can smell the fuel under the hood and coming out the exhaust after it was cut. 5 plugs shows signs of it as well. Got some parts to get. But it never goes on the lift for an inspection. It’s just safety.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
How old is your O2 sensor? That's the primary feedback for air/fuel mixture.

If you don't know for sure, I'd replace it with a new one.

Also, check your air filter.

Don't forget a new set of plugs, wires, cap, and rotor.

RwP

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

RwP

RwP
I’ve never put one on it since I got like 10 years ago. But the plugs, wires, cap, fuel filter, and rotor aren’t that old. Probably going to put on an O2 sensor, map sensor, fuel pressure regulator to start with. As well as straight piping it. I’m wanting to get rid of it, and get something newer.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
If the plugs show it's running rich, it's trying to foul anyway. I'd still put new ones on.

They're cheap after all.

The O2 should have been done at the same time; they may last 100,000 miles or 10 years, past that I would not trust them.

RwP

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yea but I'm sure pd say something about noise. Don't be shocked to find a few potatoes stuffed in.
Maybe not, but sure pd say something about noise. Don't be shocked if find few potatoes stuffed in pipes to.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts